Ice covered panels

Options
opticalmike
opticalmike Registered Users Posts: 20 ✭✭
I am trying to leave my Trojan batteries in my fifth wheel RV...in Alberta Canada. I therefore need to climb
the bugger and sweep the 6 panels almost every other day. Last night it rained and then snowed 4"
When I sweep them,, I find the panels all iced up. What about using clear windshield washer antifreeze??
I dont want to use a scraper for fear of scratching the panels. I'm not sure there even glass.
Even with the ice they put out pretty decent, but snow covered equals frozen batteries if not plugged in.
My unit will be on the other side of the acreage not close to ac power. We do get cold down to -35C.
My panels are screwed to the top of the fiver mostly flat.
Should I just pull the batteries for the winter??
hmmm.:cry:

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Ice covered panels

Well the batteries won't freeze if they're charged and they won't discharge much if there's no load on. So on the whole they're pretty safe even if the panels get blocked.

Snow should be brushed off. Ice can be dissolved with washer fluid, but usually will melt on its own when the panels warm up enough (not going to happen at the temps we are getting now, but the washer fluid won't work well either).

Check the batteries and see how they are fairing. A little trickle charge once a month if needed is about all it should take to keep them up.