How about those generators that come installed on campers and RVs

I hear some of them aren't that good.

The good ones could turn out to make a pretty nice source for off grid solar backup power for not a lot of money. Or if you have an RV/Camper with 3600rpm screamer f generator and are thinking of up grading to something that makes less noise and uses a lot less fuel. I think we should discuss the good ones and the bad ones since they have such wide application.

From what I have worked with and seen the kohler alternators are very solid. I have work with 4 pole (1800 RPM), single phase with internal and external regulators. Their 5.5kw units had internal voltage regulators, 6.5kw had external regulators voltage regulators. I actually had more problems with the external regulators.

As far as prime movers go I have been happiest with Kubota but they are very expensive. Miller welding machines use Onan prime movers and everyone seems pretty happy with them. Onan engines are used in a lot of RV and Camper generators but I do not know much about them.

I have been the least satisfied with air cooled single cylinder Yamaha 3600rpm diesels. They shook so hard they started to tear themselves apart after 50 hours and the parts were all stupid expensive and hard to get if you could find them (likely by design so you will just end up buying another engine).

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

Comments

• ZoNiE
    ZoNiE Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭
    Re: How about those generators that come installed on campers and RVs

The 1,800 RPM models are the quietest, but are also the heaviest, usually around 400 lbs for a 5-6K unit.

I have had a 6K Onan (1977 power Drawer) it was very reliable, quiet (relatively), 1,800 RPM, could handle way more than rated load, but was a bit stinky. It never failed to start after sitting for months. They are air cooled flatheads if built before the 1990's. They have funky old electronics, but Dinosaur Boards are available new and you can jumper them out in a pinch to run if the board fails, but you lose low oil shutdown protection. They have old style breaker point ignition, but pertronix makes modern electronic ignitions. They are cheap and easy to find, fix and most parts are still available. Later OHV units had large noisy fans. I would not hesitate to use one as a stationary standby generator. Lots of information about them in the GMC motorhome forums.

Kohlers are great until they start to have problems, then can be difficult to repair, and keep running smoothly. Not as many out there, so parts may be an issue.

I now have a relatively "modern" Honda EV4010. It is a 3,600 RPM 2 Pole 4K genset. It weighs half what the Onan weighed and a 6K only weighs 7 lbs more. It has a lot more electronics, but so far that has not been an issue. Running the carb (no fuel injection) dry is a problem with today's fuels, So I run it at least once a month. It has a water cooled OHC motor that should run for years and years. Parts are still available, (The units are not made any more) The GX360 engine is also used on tractors. It runs cool, has an air shroud over the exhaust with forced air and keeps it cool. It is not loud either, but at 3,600 RPM, the sound is different, and I think a bit more annoying. These have been called the best RV generators of all time.

Generac's suck. The newest inverter models didn't fare well, and heavy loads like AC units killed many. The are no longer produced. Old ones were better, but I'd be concerned about parts.

Cummins-Onan is the only game left in town, but their current units are all 3,600 RPM, and don't last long.

I have zero experience with Diesel units, but hope to learn here.