New RV/Marine Forum

Options
BB.
BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
Some folks have asked Marc for a new RV specific forum...

So here it is. See how it works out for everyone.

-Bill
Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: New RV/Marine Forum

Note: I will be moving existing threads to this forum as I find them in a possibly futile attempt to keep things organized.
  • Reed
    Reed Solar Expert Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Options

Bill

Sounds like a great idea. A lot of discussion on this subject is found on the thread below this "Need advice on setting up Solar for my 5th wheel". The solar threads on the primary RV fora such as IRV2 and RV.net are fragmented. I have read through the solar threads on these fora and folks are really looking for answers to basic problems which are answered on Northern Arizona Wind and Sun.

We are full time RV'ers and primarily boondock/bush camp/dispersed camp. We only run into fellow boondockers and almost all of them have solar to some degree. The amount of solar goes from a single movable panel to over 2 kW. One guy has 1.2 kW on his pickup camper and associated trailer.

Attached is our rig with 1.4 kW. We were mootchdocking at older son's place at 8000' in northern NM. He is totally off grid (solar well, solar Wi-Fi towers etc). We just move to where it is cool in summer and warm in winter - and where there is great solar insolation.
    Attachment not found.

Reed and Elaine
  • scrubjaysnest
    scrubjaysnest Solar Expert Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for all the effort it took to get things started here. For those of us that are mobil it will make things easier to locate now.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options

Glad to see this sub-forum added. I've sent many RVers from other forums over here for help.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • citysnaps
    citysnaps Registered Users Posts: 8
    Options

Excellent move! Glad to see the addition.
  • ZoNiE
    ZoNiE Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭
    Options

Cool, Thanks! I have already found my stuff here.
  • jimindenver
    jimindenver Solar Expert Posts: 59 ✭✭
    Options

I think it is wonderful. I've been coming here since I first found my panels and look forward to more RV discussion.
  • Nvreloader
    Nvreloader Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭
    Options

Out standing Idea, A BIG THANK YOU to those that took this step.

This should make it better for those that want info on RV installations with the specials needs dealing to that area of solar installations,
    as compaired to the usual sticks and bricks install.

I was here several yrs ago and got over whelmed and confused by what was being talked about and the use of terms/abbreations that were being used etc, because I was NOT sure if the info pertained to me and what I was asking, or most of the info given sprouted off into another direction or went over my head, (have a hard time wrapping my head around this solar stuff), so to speak, about for the solar install I am attempting to finish, which I still know very little about and I have been struggling thru deciding what is right for the RV installion, since then etc.

There are several members that have a VAST knowledge of solar and the Correct way of doing it,
    but that knowledge is lost, if the poster dosen't understand what is being talked about, etc. :confused:

Thank you one and all,

Tia,
    Don
    ps, I will be back, now.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

And, if we say anything that is not clear, please ask (anyone and everyone).

It is difficult for us folks trying to help if we are just creating confusion instead.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • DavidOH
    DavidOH Solar Expert Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    Options

Yea! This is more relevant to me than a house system !
  • boonhauler
    boonhauler Solar Expert Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Guy's, great Idea!