Inverter sleeps too much!

ayurtdweller
ayurtdweller Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭
I have just installed a Cotek 1500 http://www.cotek.com.tw/upload/PDF/SK1500.PDF

Running 24 volts.

The issue is that I have to run at least 2 light for it to stay awake! +- 18 watts.

If I shut off one light, or even dim the 2, it shuts off momentarily and then wakes back up. It cycles on for about 10 seconds, then off for one second.

It has some dip switches on it to set the sleep limits, but I set them to be disabled.

Anyone run into this before? I'd hate to have to use 2 lights whenever I need only 1.

It runs just fine with higher loads.

I'm thinking some caffeine might help ;)

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Inverter sleeps too much!

what is the wattage of those 2 lights?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    westbranch wrote: »
    what is the wattage of those 2 lights?

"I have to run at least 2 light for it to stay awake! +- 18 watts."

Many higher power inverters such as yours require more or less a 20 watt load to stay awake.
    You might look at a far smaller inverter to run the small lights, especially as the inverter you now have sucks back roughly 18 watts just to keep it runing so you can add an 18 wattt light, that could add up to roughly 36 watts for a very small light. Overkill.
  • westbranch

Wayne I read the table a bit differently, maybe wrongly :confused:, 18 watts for NO load and another 3.6 W for standby, total 21.6W...
    What I was looking for was if they are LED he might be able to use an old incandescent or ?? to more closely match the min needed...

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • ayurtdweller
    ayurtdweller Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭

I just figured it as 18 watts no load, 4.32 watts sleep. Pretty high. I think I can get away with using a smaller inverter for lights. Let the Cotek run the fridge and washer.

As far as small inverter, can anyone recommend one with a thermostatic controlled fan so that we don't have to listen to a fan every nite? I used to have a 12v 400W MSW that I just disconnected the fan. We didn't use it for heavy loads, and when we did, not for very long.
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭

On an outback you can adjust the sensitivity of the inverter. Mine never sleep now though.
    gww
  • westbranch

how is the yurt wired? Can you split the circuits?

Mine has 2 distribution boxes...

• CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

I use a SS300 for a few lights and the garage door opener, If i just turn on the opener switch to power it up , the SS just pulsates it's searching , i turn on the lights the SS300 comes alive , but it won't go to sleep if the overhead door is left on .. It's just on the verge . This door / light / power for the SS300 is used once a week winter, daily spring-summer

VT
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    As far as small inverter, can anyone recommend one with a thermostatic controlled fan so that we don't have to listen to a fan every nite?

All of mine (that have fans) do, even the 220W MSW I bought at Radio Shack 15-20 years ago. The others are Samlex, a 300W and 1500W.

Or you can get one that doesn't even have a fan. The SureSine 300 is the cadillac there, but I also have a Tripp-Lite 150W or so that's just a cube with ventilation slots.

As far as recommendations, the SureSine is my favorite for hard-wired applications. I've also been happy with the Samlex (PSW) units.

It's not such a big deal for lighting loads, but if you need the surge capacity, be sure to check the specs. The SureSine, for example, has a *much* better surge rating than my Samlex 300W - they both have a 600W surge capacity but the SS rating is for 15 *minutes* whereas the Samlex is just one second!
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭

The fact that you get so much light from LEDs now adays is one of the reasons i run them off DC. Depenending on your wiring flexibility and length of runs, might be an option. Search mode in inverters is really only useful if you have two inverters, one for light base loads. But then you also need wiring flexibility to run two sets of AC. Its a hard road finding the perfect girl, son. (Speights ad)
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar