12 volt windmill 24 volt system

Options
I started with a 12 volt system with a 1600 watt windmill and 9x120 watt solar panels, problem was the cheap inverter i got for $60, well it died, so i talked to a expert( someone who has been off grid for years) he suggested i go to 48 volt but i couldn't afford any more than i have inveseted already, he sold me a 24 volt inverter "trace" and i have it all installed but now i don't know how to use the wind turbine in my system. any advice would be great.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: 12 volt windmill 24 volt system

Welcome to the forum John,

Normally, for a 12 volt wind turbine, you would have it rewound (or replace) the stator for a higher voltage output.

There are some turbines that are rated for 12/24 volts.

So--It does depend on what brand/model of wind turbine you presently have.

By the way, have you measured how much wind power it outputs every month? Many small wind systems seem to have difficulties outputting anywhere near rated power. Either they are not mounted high enough (really should be on a 60 foot minimum tower, 30 feet above nearby obstructions), or there is not enough wind in the area (trees "flagging" in your area), and many times, the turbines just don't perform as advertised.

If you have good luck with your turbine, looking to upgrade/replace/build your own turbine, etc., may be a good project.

Otherwise, usually a few more (currently relatively cheap) solar panels and a good/reliable (not too big) backup genset will probably do better for you.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Welcome to the forum.

I hate to say it but the turbine is probably a loss. To get the Voltage up to 24 Volt levels would require a lot of work. Maybe the turbine is dual Voltage, you'd have to check, but probably it isn't.

Do you have any numbers for the turbine's output from before? If it was actually hitting the 1600 Watt rating it would put out 133 Amps on a 12 Volt system. Chances are it didn't, as they are notoriously inefficient. But if it were then it would be more worthwhile trying to use it on the 24 Volt system (over 60 Amps of current).

What you need is a buck-booster charge controller, which there aren't too many of. And you have to get it to work with a turbine, which may not be that easy.

In short, the devil is in the details. Can you give us more info about the turbine, battery bank size (Amp hours), and what charge controller(s) you have?
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    Options

Is you turbine a car altinator? If it was a decent turbine it may work even better on 24 then it did on 12 volt. If you put a voltage doubler it may make the turbine blades run more in line with the speed they were designed for. It doesn't take as robust desine to boost voltage as it does to buck it. midnight has a good buck controller but boost could be more diy.

Maybe check this thread and see if you get anything from it.

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,127288.0.html

If you decide it would work, you would still have to get some kind of charge controller and a divertion load to protect your batteries. If you decide it is worth it, you would need lots of wind, there may be options so it is not a total loss. You could also try and sell it and get something else you need.

Good luck
    gww
  • johnsikes
    johnsikes Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options

thanks everyone i'm glad to be among the informed. not sure about rules on this sight but its a missouri wind and solar Freedom 12 volt 1600 watt, 5 blade wind turbine generator PMG HD. don't think it is all that i paid for $538.25 i really didn't know what i was getting into with this off grid life style so it seemed like good insurance.... but yah more solar panels probably would have been a better investment but i figured that i would ask someone who knew what they were doing.
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    Options

I have never owned a altinator wind mill but my understanding is a mill like yours already takes huricane forced winds to actually produce so is probly not good on the higher 24 volt bank. I could be wrong but if I were in your shoes I would probly try and sell it. If you elect to try it, please report back and let us know how it works.
    Thanks
    gww
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

You might try calling MW&S and see if they can swap you a 24 volt stator or sell you one at a reasonable price.

Again, I am not a fan of wind--But if you want to try and you already spent (most) of the money--Why not.

Or try to sell it to somebody else that needs 12 volts.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset