My Solar Project starting to come together

tndoug99
tndoug99 Registered Users Posts: 10
Attachment not found.

My project is starting to come together. I made a frame from extruded aluminum and encased it in acrylic. I also had the faceplate laser cut from acrylic.
I installed the Xantrex True Sine 600 watt inverter, Yaseau Ham Radio, Blue Sky 25 amp MPPT Charge controller, Rig Runner to run 12 volt plug and USB plug.
Plan on adding LED lights.
Powered by 2-220 amp Trojan 6-volt wired to make 12 volt, and 9-40 watt solar panels pushing around22 amp.

It has taken me almost 2 years to get to this point. Still not finished, but almost. Need to clean up my wiring a bit and attach Acrylic case to frame.

Comments

• Alaska Man
    Alaska Man Solar Expert Posts: 252 ✭✭
    Re: My Solar Project starting to come together

Looking real good.......
  • Ks Solar
    Ks Solar Solar Expert Posts: 47 ✭✭

Looks good. Is that a Turnigy watt meter by the outlets below the Blue sky?
  • tndoug99

Yes, that is a Turnigy. Here is a picture with the case. I still have to attach the case. I have it all on a Northern Tool wagon, so it is portable as well.
    May do solar tracking, but not sure yet. If I had more knowledge when I started about solar, I would have waited on the panels. I would have done that differently. I don't have the Turnigy in these pics.
    Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
  • Plowman
    Plowman Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

I like the enclosure, tell me more. Materials, tools used, how it's fastened, etc. How's heat build up? How water resistant do you think it'd be?
  • tndoug99

I ordered the frame from Faztec http://www.faztek.net/ . I designed it, they cut it. The aluminum frame uses bolts, and t-nuts which slide in a slot and holds everything together.
    The acrylic outer enclosure is nothing more than an end table. The outer enclosure is 3/8" thick and 16' x 16'. I designed the aluminum frame to be 15" x 15". It fit perfect with room for padding.
    I will attach it to the frame at each corner with t-nuts and thick rubber washers to give it some vibration resistance.

I don't know about heat build up, but I still have to mount the 7 amp Genius battery charger and a small 12 volt fan inside to an acrylic panel on back.
    On the faceplate, I had holes cut for ventilation, and I believe with the fan, heat should not be a factor, but that still remains to be seen.
    I have a Rig Runner and several open spots, so I can add several more 12 volt items...LED light, fan,...etc.
    I'm using Anderson Power poles for electrical connections. MC4 on solar panels. Still have to add on/off switch and some in-line fuses.

If you covered up the 2 exposed sides, it would probably do decent in a light rain, but I plan on using this under some sort of cover and keep it away from water.

I have tested it with a couple solar panels hooked up and everything works great.
    I'll make a video showing it all together and working when I finish, but that will be a couple more months as I am currently out of "project" cash.
  • Plowman
    Plowman Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the description. I never thought of using acrylic, looks nice.

I need to build a couple enclosures for my batteries and electronics. The one thing that concerns me about acrylic is that it isn't fire resistant, as far as I can tell it's rated the same as plywood.

Right now I'm thinking I might go with plywood since I already have some on hand, paint it with fire retardant paint, and line it with sheet metal to make it less likely to burst into flames should I have an unexpected problem.
  • tndoug99

I share your concerns. Acrylic may not do well. But this is a small unit and I hope it doesn't generate enough heat to burn or melt the acrylic.
    The only component I would worry about producing enough heat to melt or burn the 1/4" acrylic would be the solar charge controller.
    If acrylic does not do well, I will take it apart and replace with a different material. I would only have to replace the front panels.
    When I get it all together, I will run it all day and see what kind of heat it produces.
    I have ran my 60" Vizio for 5 hours just testing my batteries and inverter. Heat was not a problem at all and I don't have a fan installed yet.
    Time will tell.