I'm sure a repeat topic, forgive me, but books, classes, a bit of advice...

Options
johnny555
johnny555 Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi everyone. Can you recommend a good text that can get me to an understanding of the basics, math, theory, installation? I ask because the Intro book from the biggest outfit in the country does not get good reviews. A text will help me get going, and have people to help.

I want to start to study before a class. $800 for an online course is not my style. If I spend money, it's going to be in person. Against all odds my buddy who is a smart guy, but holds a BA and MA in Art, got through a week long course and is doing extremely well with his own specialized company. He can help me get in and I find it exciting and I would like to start studying now.

Thank you for any help. --J

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: I'm sure a repeat topic, forgive me, but books, classes, a bit of advice...

We have a thread with a bunch of information--Including reading materials:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?5556-Working-Thread-for-Solar-Beginner-Post-FAQ&p=54329#post54329

Are you interested in installing Grid Tied Solar (solar panels + GT inverter) for utility connected homes?

Or more along the line of off grid / RV / cabins / etc. systems?

If you can get a job/do gopher work at your friend's company--You can learn a lot there too. The first system, it is very confusing and can seem quite complex... After you have installed a few--It all starts coming together.

Also--The requirements can be quite different State by State--And if you would be interested in getting your electrician's or contractor's license...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset