Large or small inverters?

Options
stmar
stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
Had an interesting conversation the other day about what would be better; one large inverter (4000 watts) or several smaller inverters by splitting the loads. The basis of the conversation was if it was better to depend on one large expensive unit or several smaller ones where you could replace one more economically if needed. I am sure there are lots of thoughts on this subject and I had never considered anything but a large inverter but it never hurts to open the mind and see what sticks. My SW4024 is going on 15 years so I need to have in mind what I want to do when the time comes to replace it.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Large or small inverters?

It depends on your power needs/loads...

Many times, you can break up your loads into evening vs 24 hour loads. Run the 24 hours loads on a small/efficient inverter (hopefully small loads). And only run the larger inverter (higher tare losses) when you need to run the washer, shop tools, evening loads.

However, as soon as you add something like a full size Energy Star Refrigerator which usually needs a 24x7 AC power source--Then the need for a second small inverter sort of "goes away"--In my humble opinion.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • stmar
    stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Large or small inverters?

You are correct, I was thinking in terms of my 24 volt RF-16 and forgot about the old drink frig and chest freezer, those two items would negate a smaller inverter. And trying to break the loads up would be problematic in itself. That is why I throw this stuff out there, to get good input, so thanks.