2kw Inverter and Setup Suggestions for Small RV System - beginner question.

Options
ScoCan
ScoCan Registered Users Posts: 11
Putting the pieces together for a small solar system on our small (24 foot) rv.

Currently looking at 450 Watts of solar powering a Midnite Solar Kid and using 2 Interstate GC2-XHD-UTL 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Batteries in series.

-- May expand the array, batteries, and Kid's later.

The stock converter/charger in the RV is non adjustable and does not provide a proper charge profile/voltages.

The goal (one of several) is to find a good Inverter/Charger match for our system. I am looking for an approx 2000 Watt inverter/charger that has a programmable battery charge profile, data out, and remote. I believe the Magnum MS2000 fits the bill nicely, but I have no personal experience with them.

Anyone have any suggestions or experiences with the Magnum or other like devices? Feel free to give general suggestions - I'd prefer to hear them before I start connecting wires.

The battery specs:
Interstate GC2-XHD-UTL 6 v Deep Cycle Golf Cart Batteries
CAP-20: 232.00
ReserveCapacity-25: 474.00
Charge Profile (as a 2 battery system):
Bulk: 14.46
Absorption: 15.3
Float: 13.4
Equalize: 15.6
Data Sheet

Thanks!

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: 2kw Inverter and Setup Suggestions for Small RV System - beginner question.

I have no clue what you intend to run on the Inverter or if you use a generator to charge and run the appliances in the RV. Xantrex makes the SW2012 ( $1,200 ) Inverter / Charger gives you " Generator Support " that is nice to have on a small generator, it will allow the Inverter to kick in the needed power and run in tandem with the generator on large loads. It requires a SCP Remote ( $200 ) and a AGS ($150 ) gen start be present on the system to use.

http://www.boatersland.com/xan815-2012.html?gclid=CI3ok9nAx8ACFVQV7AodM3wAMQ
  • Chris
    Chris Solar Expert Posts: 135 ✭✭
    Options

I considered going with an inverter charger my self......but after installing the kid and 400 watts of panels I've only twice this summer not hit float during the day.
    I guess this really depends on your power demands.....but something to keep in mind, the stock converter could be used first thing in the morning to bring the batteries up close to absorb voltage then let the kid take over from there.

I assume your going to install a shunt and WBjr?
  • ScoCan
    ScoCan Registered Users Posts: 11
    Options

Thanks much for the replies!

We use the RV for recreation and as a mobile office, typically pulling about 200 Watts for much of the day. The most we plan on drawing through the inverter at any one time would be about 1500 W - short duration for microwave.

We do have a 3.2kw genset and rooftop A/C - we are happy to turn on the genset or find a plug to use the A/C. Our unit came with a 600 W Magnum modified sine inverter (MM612), a goal of the change out is to put in a 'pure' sine version and kick up the available output a bit.

The converter (a WFCO WF-8955) is almost useless, it never comes out of Absorption, which is hard set to 13.6 volts - our batteries require 15.3. Here are the specs on the converter/charger.
    WFCO WF-8955
    Charger Specs – all values fixed:
    Bulk: 14.4
    Absorption: 13.6 (1.7 v below battery requirement)
    Float: 13.2
    Equalize: none
    Data Sheet

I did install a Tri-Metric TM-2030 & shunt (along with a Progressive EMS-HW30C surge protector).
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    ScoCan wrote: »
    Thanks much for the replies!

We use the RV for recreation and as a mobile office, typically pulling about 200 Watts for much of the day. The most we plan on drawing through the inverter at any one time would be about 1500 W - short duration for microwave.

We do have a 3.2kw genset and rooftop A/C - we are happy to turn on the genset or find a plug to use the A/C. Our unit came with a 600 W Magnum modified sine inverter (MM612), a goal of the change out is to put in a 'pure' sine version and kick up the available output a bit.

The converter (a WFCO WF-8955) is almost useless, it never comes out of Absorption, which is hard set to 13.6 volts - our batteries require 15.3. Here are the specs on the converter/charger.
    WFCO WF-8955
    Charger Specs – all values fixed:
    Bulk: 14.4
    Absorption: 13.6 (1.7 v below battery requirement)
    Float: 13.2
    Equalize: none
    Data Sheet

I did install a Tri-Metric TM-2030 & shunt (along with a Progressive EMS-HW30C surge protector).
    Based on your generator and your intentions the Magnum sounds ok. It's a good Inverter, but I have had issues with the charger and how it ramps up with small generators. With a 3.2 kw it will be fine. Make sure you get the remote so you can make changes to the default settings.
  • Plowman
    Plowman Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ScoCan wrote: »
    Putting the pieces together for a small solar system on our small (24 foot) rv.

Currently looking at 450 Watts of solar powering a Midnite Solar Kid and using 2 Interstate GC2-XHD-UTL 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Batteries in series.

-- May expand the array, batteries, and Kid's later.

The stock converter/charger in the RV is non adjustable and does not provide a proper charge profile/voltages.

The goal (one of several) is to find a good Inverter/Charger match for our system. I am looking for an approx 2000 Watt inverter/charger that has a programmable battery charge profile, data out, and remote. I believe the Magnum MS2000 fits the bill nicely, but I have no personal experience with them.

Anyone have any suggestions or experiences with the Magnum or other like devices? Feel free to give general suggestions - I'd prefer to hear them before I start connecting wires.
    That Magnum is >$1500. Yowza.

I'm a cheapskate. If I needed a 2000W true sine inverter (why so big with only 2 GC batts?), I'd look at a Xantrex Prowatt 2000. No experience with these myself, but I'm looking at the 600 and 1000W versions.

For charging add an Iota 45 or similarly sized battery charger to run off generator. ~$500 total for Xantrex and Iota. Use left over $1000+ to buy more panels.

Your batt spec link says 14.4V bulk and 15.5V absorption, which seems rather high to me. If so, you'd have to manually adjust the potentiometer on the Iota. No idea about the Magnum.