tristar mppt 60 stuck in night mode

Options
Just finished building my first solar system for an RV and when I flipped on my solar, my MPPT 60 is reading that it's in night mode. I'm totally new to this stuff, so I'm not sure where to start trouble shooting. Any input is appreciated.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: tristar mppt 60 stuck in night mode

You may have to call MorningStar about the problem (possible needs repair).

In general, this is where I would start:

1. Disconnect, turn off, or working at night, remove power from the Vpanel input to the controller.
    2. Pull fuse or turn off battery breaker to controller
    3. Check the dip/configuration switches inside the controller. I think you can set battery bank voltage or have it set to "automatic".
    4. Check battery bank voltage--If the battery is "Dead", the automatic battery voltage mode will not work. If 12 volt battery is below ~10 volts, controller may not turn on.
    5. Turn on Battery Breaker first.
    6. Turn on/Connect solar array second.
    7. Measure the voltages right on the electrical connection screws (controller panel input and battery output) and make sure that you have the expected voltages on the terminals.

What is the battery bank voltage and AH rating (i.e., 12/24/48/other, YYY AH)?

What are the specifications for your solar panels (Vmp/Imp) and how are they connected (i.e., 2 panels in series, three parallel strings).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: tristar mppt 60 stuck in night mode

I would do as "BB" suggests. Remove all power from the controller starting with the solar panel input to the controller, then the battery bank. While the controller is "dead", check and select the proper dip switch positions, then starting with the battery first, reconnect power to the controller. Let it do it's startup thing, wait a couple of minutes and if it's still showing "night", check the voltage at the PV input to the controller. If there's no voltage there, or if not enough, it will show "night", that's normal. If there IS proper voltage at the PV input and it still shows "night", then very likely, assuming everything is properly connected, there is a fault in the controller. Very rare, but possible.