Sun Hours per city worldwide

quique
quique Solar Expert Posts: 259 ✭✭
Id like to see the historical peak sun hours per city but I can only find data for US and Canadian cities. How could I find it for other cities in other countries such as cities in Honduras, Central America?

Comments

• Aragon
    Aragon Registered Users Posts: 7
    Re: Sun Hours per city worldwide
    quique wrote: »
    Id like to see the historical peak sun hours per city but I can only find data for US and Canadian cities. How could I find it for other cities in other countries such as cities in Honduras, Central America?

Good question! I have been trying to get reliable information for Nicaragua. It seems like the vendors here use southern states in the U.S. (Florida, Texas, Arizona) for peak hour estimates. I am at 12.8 degrees north of the equator. It is hard to believe that peak hours here are the same as, for example, Miami, which is at 25.4 degrees north.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    quique wrote: »

You can get related information at http://neo.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/view.php?datasetId=CERES_INSOL_M. But I believe that this information includes diffuse as well as direct sunlight, which is not the ideal number for use with crystaline panels. You also have to divide the watt-hours per square meter per day by 1000 watts per m2 to get sun hours per day.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

This one has a lot of different cities from around the world:

http://solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-irradiance.html

And, the numbers seem pretty close to how we use PV-Watts' numbers (simple hours of sun by month and panel tilt).

One thing that you need to check for--It appeared the one time I used it south of the equator--I had to point it "south" to get the number right--There is no "North" setting--Even for south of the equator locations.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset