grid tie upgrade, but via Elis Isle any more.!

Options
Thomas
Thomas Solar Expert Posts: 291
:DI may finally be able to get a genuine UL grid tie inverter, only thing is[$] of course and for some reason there does not seem to be any Name Brand GTI's [Fronius/Xantrex/SunnyBoy...] that will hook up to a 120v grid:confused:Attachment not found.Attachment not found.. Is it O.K. to convert?
No hurry, I still have to upgrade fron 12v series on roof to all 24v....[and save $...]:cool:
next summer earliest.
monitoring with ekm and watsvision free.
there is 1720 watts @24v on the roof and [2]1200 watt grid tie inverters, a Ground fault protector bought at Northern Az. and a 110/10 breaker...
no more batteries....what a headache!
the only grid tie that will connect to a 120v line that I can find is Outback.:p
output about 60A 28v displacing 10A 120v, approximately... my meter stops a lot .....I have given up trying to measure the DC amps, and AC output , really.[another headache and discovery altogether!]
Always troubleshoot with adequate sunlight.  Hi Ho Hi Ho
2.3kW [10] Enecsys SMI-240-60 micro inverters

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options
    Re: grid tie upgrade, but via Elis Isle any more.!

Are you looking for a pure GT inverter? And you will keep a off grid inverter for backup/emergency power (Outback+batteries)?

Also, do you need a 120 VAC GT Inverter because you do not have 120/240 VAC power? 240 VAC GT inverters are the vast majority of GT Inverters in the US--There are not many 120 VAC UL/NRTL Listed 120 VAC GT inverters here (if any????).

Other than 240 VAC units using 1/2 the AC current, there is no reason to use use 120 vs 240 VAC GT inverters from a Utility/Meter point of view--Either will work fine.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: grid tie upgrade, but via Elis Isle any more.!
    Thomas wrote: »
    for some reason there does not seem to be any Name Brand GTI's [Fronius/Xantrex/SunnyBoy...] that will hook up to a 120v grid

The SMA Sunnyboy 700 watt version is 120 volt. Two would probably handle your generation. Might be hard to find since they don't make them any more.

The Outback GTFX line of inverters will also operate at 120 volt, but require batteries and a charge controller. They also operate down to 24 volts DC which might make module arrangement easier.