Mysterious Grid-Tie Inverter?

Hello, I purchased a used 3.5kw grid-tie inverter manufactured by Emerson / Artesyn / Dow, and I cannot find anyone who can provide me with the wiring box / disconnect switch, that this unit originally came with (it has proprietary connectors on the bottom). Emerson had no clue they even made solar inverters, Artesyn asked what inverters where, and Dow refuses to sell me anything because they only sell complete solar shingle systems. My unit is a SPV-3.5AIUS0404, which seems to be a smaller version of the SPV-5.0, which is still listed on the manufacturers support page and a few websites. Does anyone out there have the wiring box, the monitoring software, the optional wireless module, or the mounting bracket for these? I just want to make the thing work, and have been burning up the phone lines and email all day, trying to find someone that knows these boxes. Appreciate any help!

Tj

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Mysterious Grid-Tie Inverter?

Sometimes a bargain is not really a bargain.

Sorry I can't help you.
  • ultanium
    ultanium Registered Users Posts: 8

Yep, this may be an expensive lesson.
  • alex77
    alex77 Registered Users Posts: 2
    ultanium wrote: »
    Hello, I purchased a used 3.5kw grid-tie inverter manufactured by Emerson / Artesyn / Dow, and I cannot find anyone who can provide me with the wiring box / disconnect switch, that this unit originally came with (it has proprietary connectors on the bottom). Emerson had no clue they even made solar inverters, Artesyn asked what inverters where, and Dow refuses to sell me anything because they only sell complete solar shingle systems. My unit is a SPV-3.5AIUS0404, which seems to be a smaller version of the SPV-5.0, which is still listed on the manufacturers support page and a few websites. Does anyone out there have the wiring box, the monitoring software, the optional wireless module, or the mounting bracket for these? I just want to make the thing work, and have been burning up the phone lines and email all day, trying to find someone that knows these boxes. Appreciate any help!

Tj

Hi TJ, consider removing screws securing bottom cover, should be 12. Gently pry.
    Cover from end of inverter. This will give you end view if you cant identify.
    Terminals then also take back cover off 20 screws.
    Then looking at boards inside with unit on its back you will see a bunch of round
    Cans on the right side, these are capacitors, and board they are soldered to
    Should say main buck/boost. This is where the power comes in. I think.
    Yours is a 4-input meaning 4 separate plus-minus strings can be connected.
    8 terminals. Look on the buck/boost main board on the end, you will see 4 pairs.
    Of spade connectors with black wires attatched. Each pair should be marked.
    Red, black on ckt board, this represents positive and negative of each mppt input.
    The negatives(blk) are all tied together internally. I think the positive terminals can be
    Paired for higher amp strings but i havent tried it so i cant say results.
    Follow wires with continuity meter to connector on front and attatch your own wires to
    Them or replace and rewire with a standard connector.

The middle plug is for computer interface. The larger plug on the opposite side will be
    220v plug you can follow wires on that side as well. The two upper terminals are connected.
    Together on board and the two lower terminals are bridged on board. Its best to again use
    Contiuity meter to verify two upper terminals are L1 main and two.
    Lower terminals are L2 main. Follow these to connector and rewire to.
    Connector of your choice.
    Alex.......
  • ultanium

Alex77, you are a glimmer of hope in a very bleak situation! I actually opened the back of the unit just a few hours before you posted, could not open the bottom as it tri-wing screws and I do not have a bit for that. The entire DC section of the inverter is missing, probably scavenged to save another unit at some point... I called the eBay vendor and they are supposed to call me back Monday with a decision of what to do with this thing. Out of probably 20 phone calls and emails, you seem to know more about this unit than anyone. I looked closely at all the other boards, no swollen caps and nothing appears to be burned, and it doesn't smell burned, so perhaps the rest is still ok. Still leaves me with trying to find the missing board, and nobody has been very forthcoming with information or parts availability. I did get a pinout of the center connector from a rep at Emerson though, will share it with anyone that needs it. Here are a couple of pictures of the guts of the SPV-3.5.

Tj

Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    ultanium wrote: »
    Alex77, you are a glimmer of hope in a very bleak situation! I actually opened the back of the unit just a few hours before you posted, could not open the bottom as it tri-wing screws and I do not have a bit for that. The entire DC section of the inverter is missing, probably scavenged to save another unit at some point... I called the eBay vendor and they are supposed to call me back Monday with a decision of what to do with this thing.
    Attachment not found.Attachment not found.

File a problem with eBay and they can also push the seller to make it right. Did you pay with a credit card? Get the credit card company involved as well.
  • alex77
    alex77 Registered Users Posts: 2

Wow, thats bad news, hopefully you will get some help today from seller.
    Did you find anyone who could get owner/service manual for it? Will emerson.
    Help at all?
    Alex
  • ultanium

I was able to get the owners manual online, after a lengthy search, but still no service manual or schematic. When i asked one of the Emerson reps last week about a schematic, they replied it was their proprietary information and not available.

Tj
  • ultanium

As of this morning, Artesyn (Emerson) sent an email stating they could no longer help me, that I had to contact Dow. Dow refuses to even talk to me, because I didn't purchase from them, not even for non-warranty service...

Tj
  • Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

At this point, the only people I'd be talking to is Ebay regarding my refund. Hope you get your money back and can move forward with a working GT inverter.
  • ultanium

Yeah, I just sent them an email. Alex, do you happen to know the Emerson part number for the main buck/boost board? I have 2200 watts of panels, a mix of Sharp 180w and Lightway 240w Chinese brand, and a couple eBay Sun 600g inverters that I have purchased as the system grew. My hope was to use the SPV inverter to replace the Sun units. Any recommendations? I have always liked the Midnite Solar products.

Tj
  • ultanium

I was able to make contact with someone else who purchased from this eBay seller, and their inverter was complete, but also did not work. The seller asked me to return the unit for refund consideration, but I told them I was not investing another $50 to ship it back, that the item was listed as "pulled from a working environment", and I wanted a refund on the purchase price only. Well, they declined and now I'm waiting to see what happens. I even showed them pictures of the the scavenged insides, but they wouldn't budge. I have pretty much decided the best thing for me is enphase M215 inverters, to get the best out of each panel, rather than as an array. To be continued...

Tj
  • ultanium

One final post in this thread, some closure. I filed a claim with PayPal and was issued a refund, though I am still out the $38 it took to ship it back, it is a lot better than being out a total of about $300. In trying to get information from Dow or Emerson, this whole thing was a nightmare. I wouldn't buy a single solar cell from either company at this point, much less a high dollar solar shingle system. One of the other eBay buyers of the inverters, got his to work, thankfully his was complete, and he seems happy with it. I hope he insures his for replacement value, because Dow refuses to work on or even talk about the system to anyone. So, case closed for me, a lesson learned, and a word of warning to others. I have invested in enphase inverters now, awaiting their arrival to get my 2200w worth of panels producing like they should. By the way, the cheap Sun 600g inverters are still going, each producing about 300w. Not very efficient, but I can buy parts from Radio Shack to fix it myself if needed.

Tj
  • ZoNiE
    ZoNiE Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭
    alex77 wrote: »
    Hi TJ, consider removing screws securing bottom cover, should be 12. Gently pry.
    Cover from end of inverter. This will give you end view if you cant identify.
    Terminals then also take back cover off 20 screws.
    Then looking at boards inside with unit on its back you will see a bunch of round
    Cans on the right side, these are capacitors, and board they are soldered to
    Should say main buck/boost. This is where the power comes in. I think.
    Yours is a 4-input meaning 4 separate plus-minus strings can be connected.
    8 terminals. Look on the buck/boost main board on the end, you will see 4 pairs.
    Of spade connectors with black wires attatched. Each pair should be marked.
    Red, black on ckt board, this represents positive and negative of each mppt input.
    The negatives(blk) are all tied together internally. I think the positive terminals can be
    Paired for higher amp strings but i havent tried it so i cant say results.
    Follow wires with continuity meter to connector on front and attatch your own wires to
    Them or replace and rewire with a standard connector.

The middle plug is for computer interface. The larger plug on the opposite side will be
    220v plug you can follow wires on that side as well. The two upper terminals are connected.
    Together on board and the two lower terminals are bridged on board. Its best to again use
    Contiuity meter to verify two upper terminals are L1 main and two.
    Lower terminals are L2 main. Follow these to connector and rewire to.
    Connector of your choice.
    Alex.......

A totally appropriate, helpful answer. Nice.

A note about tri-wing screws if you don't have a bit. take a BIC biro pen, heat the back end with a cigarette lighter, then mash it on the screw head when it is soft. Wait till it cools off, then you usually can unscrew a few of them until it wears out. Use some downward pressure when turning to keep the "screwdriver" from stripping. Toss the screws in the trash and replace with phillips.:cool:
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    ZoNiE wrote: »
    A totally appropriate, helpful answer. Nice.

A note about tri-wing screws if you don't have a bit. take a BIC biro pen, heat the back end with a cigarette lighter, then mash it on the screw head when it is soft. Wait till it cools off, then you usually can unscrew a few of them until it wears out. Use some downward pressure when turning to keep the "screwdriver" from stripping. Toss the screws in the trash and replace with phillips.:cool:
    You can also get a full set of various "security" bits for a screwdriver for under $15. If you do not have sets of regular Torx and hex bits (without the center hole) the set will double quite nicely for that purpose too.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.