Hi All, New To The Forum

Options
chipmunkofdoom2
chipmunkofdoom2 Registered Users Posts: 4
Hi everyone.

I found your forum searching for good solar resources and liked the information here. I live on the east coast and am not ready for solar yet, but I will be once I move out of my condo in a few years.

I got started taking things apart and building little electronic gizmos when I was a kid. More recently I built lots of small things for my reef aquarium like an LED light, a custom auto-topoff system, etc. I set up a 150Ah battery grid with MSW inverter to keep my tank alive during my unfortunately frequent power outages. I've since got rid of the aquarium, but the shoddy power remains. Recently, I've been thinking about what it would take to power my little condo on a battery bank and of course ran into the wide world of solar. After lots of reading I've given up on that project (my appliances are way too old an inefficient to power with a battery bank, plus the cost of QUALITY components is pretty high), but now I've been bitten by the solar bug and can't wait to get my own grid tie system (maybe with small battery bank attached) set up when I finally move out of my little condo.

TL;DR: no questions right now, just reading and learning. Just wanted to say hi and thanks for all the useful info!

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Hi All, New To The Forum

Welcome to the forum.

Solar doesn't really fit with condo, does it? :D
    Where are/were you that the power is so unreliable?
    Warning: solar is addictive and expensive.
  • chipmunkofdoom2
    Options

Yes, solar and 2 bedroom condos don't mix. I thought about putting solar panels in the windows since after noon the sun is hitting my unit pretty heavily, but I don't think that's much more than an interesting thought.

I actually live in Maryland, USA. I'm sort of out in a more rural area, but the area is fairly well developed and populated. I have a Target 5 minutes away, 2 Walmarts within 20 minutes of travel, 4 McDonalds within 20 minutes of travel, and a movie theater 20 minutes away, if that's any indication of the population of the area. I'm about 45 minutes away from Baltimore, MD. I couldn't tell you why my power is so shoddy. For any and no reason at all, we'll have outages from a few minutes to an hour or more with no inclement weather. This usually happens once a month or more. In the cases where there is a major storm (those blizzards last winter, the hurricanes in recent years) you might as well grab a hotel for the week and throw out your perishables in the fridge on the way out the door. A major annoyance to say the least.

Yes, I'm discovering just how addictive and expensive the possibilities can be. So many different controllers, so many different types of inverters, so many panel configurations, so many choices for battery banks, the list goes on and on. Practically any system configuration can be built. The only real limiting factor, unfortunately, is money!
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm glad I live in the middle of nowhere; our power stays on. :D

I tell a lie: we had a 20 minute outage this morning that corrected itself. Someone stayed up too late using the Internet!

On the other hand it's two hours to any major stores from here, and gasoline is $5.74 per gallon US.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options
    Yes, solar and 2 bedroom condos don't mix. I thought about putting solar panels in the windows since after noon the sun is hitting my unit pretty heavily, but I don't think that's much more than an interesting thought.

Not really going to do much for you behind the windows--In front of the windows, probably will collect 2x more power (or more):

Running PV Watts for Baltimore MD with vertical panels facing due west:

Month
    Solar Radiation
    (kWh/m2/day)

Year

Not really worth it other than charging cells phones/laptop computer. 4 hours of "noon-time equivalent" sun per day is sort of the minimum cost effective for a solar array.
    I'm about 45 minutes away from Baltimore, MD. I couldn't tell you why my power is so shoddy. For any and no reason at all, we'll have outages from a few minutes to an hour or more with no inclement weather. This usually happens once a month or more.

A small UPS to power "critical loads" is probably your best option (AC battery charger to Battery Bank to AC inverter to your AC loads). A laptop computer with a good battery is usually really nice--Built in UPS system.

These types of systems are common in regions with unreliable (typically 4-8 hours in the afternoon/evening) power. Just recharge the battery bank overnight on AC power. If you ever move or really want to do the battle with the condo association to put a 1,500 watt array on your roof--You could put a large enough system to even run your refrigerator.
    In the cases where there is a major storm (those blizzards last winter, the hurricanes in recent years) you might as well grab a hotel for the week and throw out your perishables in the fridge on the way out the door. A major annoyance to say the least.

Refrigerators--They are usually the dividing line between a small and a medium size off grid power system.

And for random "short term" (say less than two week) power failures--Many times a good quality/quite small AC genset is a better/more cost effective solution.

Can you run a Honda eu2000i genset on 1-2 gallons of fuel per day and run an extension cord up to your fridge (or wire in a generator transfer switch)?

If you have reliable natural gas or propane available--That saves having to store 10-20 gallons of gasoline.
    Yes, I'm discovering just how addictive and expensive the possibilities can be. So many different controllers, so many different types of inverters, so many panel configurations, so many choices for battery banks, the list goes on and on. Practically any system configuration can be built. The only real limiting factor, unfortunately, is money!

And a place to install solar panels and battery bank.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • chipmunkofdoom2
    Options

Cariboocoot, that's what I find so attractive about setting up my own renewable system. I know it's expensive, but there's something inherently fascinating in buying some tech, panels and batteries and never having to worry about grid power again (except for occasional system hiccups, replacing panels, replacing inverters/controllers every once in a blue moon). I definitely enjoy a more rural lifestyle as well, although 2 hours might be a bit much for me.. along with the $5.74 gas! We're fortunate enough have gas in the $3.30s/gallon USD,~ $3.60 CAD right now.. although we could do with some higher gas prices to discourage the Hummers and V8 SUVs that Americans love so much.

Thanks for the info Bill. Were you referring to an inverter/charger for the UPS style operation? Or was it something else? I've considered an inverter/charger, but the prices aren't cheap for a quality unit. I've also considered just buying a good PSW inverter with a battery bank and switching over manually after power failure. I've also considered getting a smaller Honda or Yamaha generator. I have a balcony and would be able to run an extension cord inside, and the generator may be quiet enough that it won't bother the neighbors. This seems like the better solution for me while I'm in the condo. When I have the spare cash, I may reevaluate the cost of the battery bank/inverter, the battery bank/inverter+charger for UPS style operation, or the small generator. I think the generator would be best for my situation until I move out.

As for the space to install the solar panels and battery bank, my next home will definitely have at least half an acre, so I'll have some space to play around with.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options
    Thanks for the info Bill. Were you referring to an inverter/charger for the UPS style operation? Or was it something else? I've considered an inverter/charger, but the prices aren't cheap for a quality unit. I've also considered just buying a good PSW inverter with a battery bank and switching over manually after power failure.

Lots of different options... You have to measure your loads with a Kill-a-Watt type meter. The peak Watts and average kilo-Watt*Hours per day (or whatever time frame) power usage.
    I've also considered getting a smaller Honda or Yamaha generator. I have a balcony and would be able to run an extension cord inside, and the generator may be quiet enough that it won't bother the neighbors. This seems like the better solution for me while I'm in the condo.

Running a genset on a balcony--High danger of Carbon Monoxide coming in through the doors/windows. And running a gasoline powered genset on a balcony is not really the safest thing to do either.
    When I have the spare cash, I may reevaluate the cost of the battery bank/inverter, the battery bank/inverter+charger for UPS style operation, or the small generator. I think the generator would be best for my situation until I move out.

If you can put the generator away from the building a bit, run a carbon monoxide detector, possibly chained to a tree/car for security--Store a couple gas cans or siphon from your vehicle.

Living in a city/condo/apartment can put limits our ability to survive without basic services... I always like to look at the rules of 3 for survival:

3 minutes without air (death)
    3 hours without shelter (more extreme climates)
    3 days without water
    3 weeks without food

More like an extended camping trip. And water is typically the most difficult to store/procure (do you have access to the water heater, or is it a common water heater for multiple units, etc.). You can get a bladder to fill in the bath tub (as an example).

Generally, having the means to survive ~3 days minimum will give enough time for some emergency response. And clean/safe water is probably the most important (in my humble opinion). And having spares... There is saying; "One is none, two is one, three is better..." for any critical supplies/devices (flashlight+batteries, backup water sources, etc.).
    As for the space to install the solar panels and battery bank, my next home will definitely have at least half an acre, so I'll have some space to play around with.

In the end, some places just are not conducive for emergency situations. Having plans/places to bug out to are the option.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • chipmunkofdoom2
    Options

Understood. I'll keep the CO in mind. It might be better to just scrap the whole generator.

Necessities are not an issue in power outages. I was just trying to think of some ways to use the computer and basic electronics during the outages.

Thanks for all the info and opinions. Great to be here!
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options

Welcome. The power quality definitely sounds like BGE. I'm in Northern Baltimore County and we get blips all the time, and forget any decent thunderstorm, hurricane, or Derecho. Multiple backup options at my house.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is