Xantrex AGS not working as programmed

Options
skipperf
skipperf Registered Users Posts: 12 ✭✭
I have an Off Grid 24v system using Xantrex inverter and AGS and an Outback charge controller. The system is about 20 months old. Within the last 6-8 weeks the AGS has not been starting or stopping the generator according to the settings. I have a Koehler 14Kw gen and the AGS is set to Gen type 8. I gave the triggers set at 24Hr 24V, 2 Hr 23.5V, 15Min 23.0V and 30 Sec at 22.8 V The stop triggers are set at Float and Absorb disabled at the Stop volt at 28.8 V. Often the generator will not start and I hit the BCO limit at 22.0V. It seems that if I access the advanced settings on the AGS, it will start properly once or twice. If it starts it doesn't stop properly. This morning I awoke and the gen was running. It had been runninh for 50 Min and should have only been 1/2 that time. The display said absorbing. I turned the gen of manually and confirmd the stop triggers as disabled for Absorrb and Float and 28.8 for Stop Voltage. Will resetting the AGS correct this and how is that done? I am fearful that I may be harming my batteries at this point at any guidace would be appriecated.

Skipper Flowers
Tulum, Q.Roo, Mexico

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Xantrez AGS not working as programmed

Do you have flooded cell batteries? If so, a good/simple glass hydrometer would be a good start. Specific gravity measurements are the gold standard to understand the state of charge of a flooded cell battery bank.

What is the AH and voltage rating of your battery bank? And what is the output of current of your AC charger (Outback inverter+charger?)?

With your voltage settings, I would certainly expect the battery bank to be discharged towards the 50% state of charge, and your generator would run for several hours to get the battery bank above 80% SOC (at least).

Is all your charging with the generator, or are you also charging with solar or other source(s) too?

What brand/model of AGS?

If the AGS system used to work, and does not now, I would be checking wring and voltages at the controller with a good volt meter.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    skipperf wrote: »
    It seems that if I access the advanced settings on the AGS, it will start properly once or twice.

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with Bill that checking the connections for voltage drop is a good first step.

I'm not familiar with your generator, or any AGS, but... The fact that it works once or twice and then "forgets" its settings makes me wonder if it has an internal battery to keep its memory alive. Also, does it have default values? When it stops working, does it default to those values?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey captain! Quintana Roo ? Nice place except during the mean season! Without the specifics I would just say run the generator for 4 hours continuous once week and make sure the absorption setpoint is set for a temp compensated 29.4VDC and at least 3 hours. You should see the charge current backing off if the batteries are healthy. You will not harm the batteries for now. Good Luck!
    I have an Off Grid 24v system using Xantrex inverter and AGS and an Outback charge controller. The system is about 20 months old. Within the last 6-8 weeks the AGS has not been starting or stopping the generator according to the settings. I have a Koehler 14Kw gen and the AGS is set to Gen type 8. I gave the triggers set at 24Hr 24V, 2 Hr 23.5V, 15Min 23.0V and 30 Sec at 22.8 V The stop triggers are set at Float and Absorb disabled at the Stop volt at 28.8 V. Often the generator will not start and I hit the BCO limit at 22.0V. It seems that if I access the advanced settings on the AGS, it will start properly once or twice. If it starts it doesn't stop properly. This morning I awoke and the gen was running. It had been runninh for 50 Min and should have only been 1/2 that time. The display said absorbing. I turned the gen of manually and confirmd the stop triggers as disabled for Absorrb and Float and 28.8 for Stop Voltage. Will resetting the AGS correct this and how is that done? I am fearful that I may be harming my batteries at this point at any guidace would be appriecated.

Skipper Flowers
    Tulum, Q.Roo, Mexico
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• skipperf
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Do you have flooded cell batteries? If so, a good/simple glass hydrometer would be a good start. Specific gravity measurements are the gold standard to understand the state of charge of a flooded cell battery bank.

What is the AH and voltage rating of your battery bank? And what is the output of current of your AC charger (Outback inverter+charger?)?

With your voltage settings, I would certainly expect the battery bank to be discharged towards the 50% state of charge, and your generator would run for several hours to get the battery bank above 80% SOC (at least).

Is all your charging with the generator, or are you also charging with solar or other source(s) too?

What brand/model of AGS?

If the AGS system used to work, and does not now, I would be checking wring and voltages at the controller with a good volt meter.

-Bill

I have 2 banks of Rolls at 24V and 450Ah per bank. The AGS is a Xantrax. I am charging the batteries primarly through a solar array of 9 trina 235W panels and an Outback FM 60 controller. The system works well other than the AGS not going on/off using the current settings.
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    I have 2 banks of Rolls at 24V and 450Ah per bank. The AGS is a Xantrax. I am charging the batteries primarly through a solar array of 9 trina 235W panels and an Outback FM 60 controller. The system works well other than the AGS not going on/off using the current settings.

You should be able to duplicate an engine start at the output of the XW gentstart device. If that is reliable then you know the wiring is good. Good luck

• skipperf
    Options
    You should be able to duplicate an engine start at the output of the XW gentstart device. If that is reliable then you know the wiring is good. Good luck

The XW AGS works fine in manual mode. The problem is it won't always start in Auto mode according to the voltage sets. This causes the batteries to drop below the BCO voltage and I am concerned for the health of the batteries.
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    The XW AGS works fine in manual mode. The problem is it won't always start in Auto mode according to the voltage sets. This causes the batteries to drop below the BCO voltage and I am concerned for the health of the batteries.

When in doubt read the manual probably does not help. I would program the start voltage a little lower than the current battery voltage and then turn on a hair dryer or electric heater to pull the voltage down and it should start the generator. Also look at the delay voltage time or ? Your Inverter should have a low voltage disconnect and delay that is there to protect the battery from deep discharge! So, you really do not need to worry as the sun will probably be there for your panels.

If this is a unattended system for weeks or more then you probably should buy a spare gen start module. Also check the network cables or just use a small amount of silicon grease on them as you are in the tropics (which I miss sometimes). Also the gen start wiring to the module should be lubed. And last, you should be able to look at the faults and warnings in the XW genstart screen and see if the command was sent. This is an XW genstart correct module? If it is another Schneider or Xantrex module I am not helping you! What is the weather like?.....

• skipperf
    Options
    When in doubt read the manual probably does not help. I would program the start voltage a little lower than the current battery voltage and then turn on a hair dryer or electric heater to pull the voltage down and it should start the generator. Also look at the delay voltage time or ? Your Inverter should have a low voltage disconnect and delay that is there to protect the battery from deep discharge! So, you really do not need to worry as the sun will probably be there for your panels.

If this is a unattended system for weeks or more then you probably should buy a spare gen start module. Also check the network cables or just use a small amount of silicon grease on them as you are in the tropics (which I miss sometimes). Also the gen start wiring to the module should be lubed. And last, you should be able to look at the faults and warnings in the XW genstart screen and see if the command was sent. This is an XW genstart correct module? If it is another Schneider or Xantrex module I am not helping you! What is the weather like?.....

Yes it is an XW AGS, I will pull the covers and check the network cables. I will try to find some silicon grease but shopping here is not easy.

Weather here is extremely dry. We have probably had less than an inch of rain in the last 2 months. That being said, my solor collection has been outstanding.
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    Yes it is an XW AGS, I will pull the covers and check the network cables. I will try to find some silicon grease but shopping here is not easy.

Weather here is extremely dry. We have probably had less than an inch of rain in the last 2 months. That being said, my solor collection has been outstanding.

Look in an automotive store or good hardware. Just very lightly paint it on with a small brush or toothpick. If you have the 865 -1060 quickstart guide you should check the config screen, triggers screen, and AGS Gen screens, as well as set-up AGS. If there are not any faults or warnings then reset to default and test it again. That is about all I can think of except flying me down there... Good Luck!