Sunny boy 8000 and 6000 watt array

Options
johna
johna Registered Users Posts: 6
Will a sunny boy 8000 work on a 6000 watt array ? I have 2 strings of 12 250 watt panels and want to use the sunny 8000 so I can expand someday .. thanks

Comments

• johna
    johna Registered Users Posts: 6
    Options
    Re: Sunny boy 8000 and 6000 watt array

also will a 10000 sunny work on smaller arrays thanks
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Welcome to the forum.

Yes an inverter of 'X' Watts output will work on <'X' Watts provided its input Voltage requirements are met. It will not, of course, put out its full rated power.
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Options

You really need to go to sma.com and go through the exercise of designing what you want with their string sizer design app. But I can tell you that two strings of twelve 250w panels should work on the SMA8000. (assuming they are normally rated panels) The problem you will run into is that when you go to add on more, you will no doubt need to go to three strings of say 11 panels forcing you to rewire the array. By the way, the SB8000 is only good for 8000W if it is connected to 3-phase. On 2-phase, it is rated at only 7650W. Might I suggest using two smaller SunnyBoy TL inverters? (with the new emergency outage feature and dual inputs that give you lots more flexibility in string sizes)