cooling batteries?

al128
al128 Solar Expert Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭
hi there,

time for another of my weird ideas ;) ...

given the fact that:}
  • deep charge batteries are darn expensive
  • the cooler a battery is the longer it lasts

... wouldnt it be a good idea to squeeze 1 or 3 years more of usage out of a multi-thousand-buck bat.bank ... by watercooling it?

e.g. batts are sitting on a heat-sink whose (downward pointing) fins are submerged in water (battery as such is not in contact with water) ...

any thoughts or is my imagination just running wild?

cheers
al

Comments

• SolarJohn
    SolarJohn Solar Expert Posts: 202 ✭✭
    Re: cooling batteries?

The water would have to circulate, presumably requiring energy to do that. Would it pay off? I don't know. The idea of cooling PV panels has been kicked around too, since cool panels are more efficient. I think the general concensus is that it would take more energy, and perhaps be more trouble from a maintenance standpoint, than it would be worth.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

imo it's not worthwhile to do this unless the batteries are typically way over 100 degrees f and even then maybe not as it takes energy to cool them (water circulation). even if you could take them low would the extra months be worth a slightly diminished capacity?
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Consider a "Root cellar" type space for them. If you can dig several feet into the ground, the earth (and the air around it) remains at a pretty constant temp year round. We have been know to use such a pit, lined with styrofoam, with a tight cover, as a cooler in the bush. Keeps the beer cold indefinitely! It also won't freeze until it gets WAY below freezing. We used to keep canned goods and batteries in on over the winter with no harm. (Before we could charge the batteries over the winter).

Just an idea,

Tony