Coming down to the final decision on solar charger

Options
Skyko
Skyko Solar Expert Posts: 121 ✭✭✭✭✭
We finally have our homebuilt camper on our truck and I have been wiring the batteries and systems. I have purchased a Magnum 4000 watt 24V input hybrid true sine inverter (the new MSH4024M series). I also have a Vanner 65-60 battery equalizer to give me 12V @ 60A needed for some of the RV systems (fans, furnace, water pump, lights).

Right now I have two 125AH Lifeline 12V AGM group 31 inside the camper series connected for 24V and I have them hooked up to the Vanner equalizer. It works VERY well and keeps the batteries within a few millivolts of each other even when drawing from one of them. My plan is to charge the batteries in series at 24V with the Magnum and a solar charger (either the classic 150 or the kid).

I have 1080 watts of solar, but flat mounted, so unlikely to be 1080 watts. The kid would get me 30A at 28V charging or 840W where a classic 150 might get me a bit more under ideal solar conditions but not likely that much more (maybe 35 to 40 amps under ideal solar and with depleted batteries).

I like that the classic now comes with the whizbangjr, has arc fault detection, comes with a temp sensor, and is rated at 96 amps for future expansion or use later in a larger system.

I hate that the classic uses 4 to 5 watts even at night unless you remember to turn it off. 50 watts is a lot overnight on a system with just 2 batteries.

I like that the kid only uses half a watt at night, has no noisy fan, and is smaller (will fit in compartment with Magnum).

I hate that the kid doesn't come with anything extra and when you buy all the extras you near the cost of the classic 150. It also would sometimes be the limit on my solar and would not allow for expansion without buying another Kid to pair.

I may go to Lithium batteries in the future so my battery capacity could increase significantly at some point.

Kid or Classic?

Comments

• Skyko
    Skyko Solar Expert Posts: 121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Coming down to the final decision on solar charger

Another plus for Classic, it has built in ground fault protection where the Kid requires an external GFP breaker.

I think I have answered my own question and the answer is Classic 150.