low watt freezers

Options
ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
do those Danzers really use like 10 watts???anyone have one of the ultra efficient AC freezers in the small size??not the DC
ones..

Comments

• unicornio
    unicornio Solar Expert Posts: 217 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: low watt freezers

I would love to have one, but they are very expensive in Spain!
    I opted to convert one chest type freezer in a fridge.
    really the "horizontal" configuration is the secret of saving...

they have such a good reputation that consumption data may be very real, although we know it depends more on the use of the fridge, i.e., the day you make the purchase of food and beverages and full it, i.e.the times you open and close the door ...
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Something to consider - - - with today's relatively low price of solar panels, and the ever increasing efficiency of "standard" Energy Star rated household freezers, you may well be further ahead to go that route and purchase an extra panel or two, than to spring for a Danzer that compared to a standard freezer, will cost you a small fortune initially, and again when it needs replacement.
  • Plowman
    Plowman Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    unicornio wrote: »
    I would love to have one, but they are very expensive in Spain!
    I opted to convert one chest type freezer in a fridge.
    really the "horizontal" configuration is the secret of saving...

they have such a good reputation that consumption data may be very real, although we know it depends more on the use of the fridge, i.e., the day you make the purchase of food and beverages and full it, i.e.the times you open and close the door ...
    How big is your freezer? Did you measure wattage before and after the conversion? What controller are you using?

Been thinking about converting a chest freezer for a while, real world figures would be useful.
  • ws9876
    ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    Options

there are some really low energy use units out there in the Lowes/Home Depot scene. They will get even better.
  • unicornio
    unicornio Solar Expert Posts: 217 ✭✭
    Options

Hi, Plowman,
    Plowman wrote: »
    How big is your freezer? Did you measure wattage before and after the conversion? What controller are you using?
    Been thinking about converting a chest freezer for a while, real world figures would be useful.

i just started this thread:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?23985-what-is-best-for-the-durability-of-a-refrigerator

but you have so much threads about here:
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/search.php?searchid=707593

and so much more info about if you put 'chest frezzer to fridge conversion' in google...

good day, mate!
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ws9876 wrote: »
    do those Danzers really use like 10 watts?

To answer your question... no, not while they are running. They tend to draw 50 - 75 watts when the compressor is on. However, they may draw an AVERAGE of 10 watts... That depends upon their duty cycle, which depends primarily on the ambient temperature.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Feenix
    Feenix Registered Users Posts: 16
    Options

I've been contemplating the same thing. For fridge, I did convert a freezer. Cheap, easy and ridiculously efficient.

For freezer, I just have a regular chest freezer. But the advice on here is what I had already concluded: it is actually cheaper and wiser to invest the extra money in more PV than it is to replace my $179 Costco freezer for an expensive Danzer.