Nabcep installer exam difficulty

I am applying to take the NABCEP installer test this October and was curious if anyone has advice on study guides, books, resources for taking it.

What does it cover besides batteries, array installation math, system sizing, NEC, etc...?

Any advice appreciated.

THANKS

Comments

• solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Re: Nabcep installer exam difficulty

If you take a NABCEP course and can do basic math, the test is no problem.
  • slurry bowl
    slurry bowl Registered Users Posts: 34 ✭✭

and by NABCEP course do you mean an exam prep course, a NABCEP sponsored course, or a course to meet the advanced hrs cert.?
  • solarix

I did an online exam prep course that SEIA has, which was certified by NABCEP I think. Not sure that NABCEP actually has courses themselves. The advanced hours courses are specialized (tend to be offered by the manufacturers that get them NABCEP certified so that installers will be induced to go to them) and would be hard to get the basic material needed to do the exam.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is what I received today in e-mail. Hope it helps.

For more than a decade, NABCEP Certification has been the gold standard for professionals in the renewable energy industry. While NABCEP accepts applications on an ongoing basis, the certification exams are only administered twice a year. To be accepted for the next exam (October 4, 2014), individuals must complete and submit their application by July 18, 2014.

installer_pic_bottom2.jpg

Do you know a PV Installation Professional, PV Technical Sales Professional, or Solar Heating Installer who would benefit from NABCEP Certification?

Maybe you yourself are looking to move ahead in your career, distinguish yourself from your peers and competitors, and gain access to the growing list of financial incentive programs and RFPs that require NABCEP Certification?

NABCEP has been hard at work putting together additional benefits of certification. To see the list of exclusive offers available to NABCEP Certificants, click here.

The application requires documentation of professional experience and training, which can take some time to track down. Waiting until the last minute could mean missing the deadline and having to wait another six months before being able to benefit from certification.

Resolve to reach the top: Be NABCEP Certified.

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• solarix

Worst thing about the exam is its only twice a year and you have to travel to one of the cities where they offer it. Not cheap either, about a $1000. The material isn't that hard but the difficulty and time it takes to get it knid of makes it a barrier to entry. I'm the only installer around here that has made the effort.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely my experience also. They need to do something alot more friendly. It is cheaper and less hassle for me to just pay someone on the rare time where I need the certification. It is usually a government group up in the National Park and I just add it on. I do buy Boat drinks on the tab if you are into flying? But still a young person starting out needs to go this path (or similar) if they want to get those jobs that require the cert.
    solarix wrote: »
    Worst thing about the exam is its only twice a year and you have to travel to one of the cities where they offer it. Not cheap either, about a $1000. The material isn't that hard but the difficulty and time it takes to get it knid of makes it a barrier to entry. I'm the only installer around here that has made the effort.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• PVAndy
    PVAndy Registered Users Posts: 2
    I am applying to take the NABCEP installer test this October and was curious if anyone has advice on study guides, books, resources for taking it.

What does it cover besides batteries, array installation math, system sizing, NEC, etc...?

Any advice appreciated.

THANKS

I took the exam last years and passed. It is not easy. Only about half the people who take it pass the first time. Some of the people in the room I was in were taking it for the fourth time.

I covers the NEC code in a strange way, giving you 3 or 4 possible designs and how they are implemented and asking which one is code compliant. A lot of battery stuff, Also you need to know all of your solar math including temp coefficients and things like pull out strength. Also troubleshooting. I am a electrical engineer with over 30 year experience and have designed well over a thousand PV Systems ranging from 3 kW to over a mega watt and I did not find it easy.

Andy
    NABCEP Certified Installation Professional