controller battery settings

lipets
lipets Solar Expert Posts: 61 ✭✭
t-105 4 6 volt output 12volt

Absorption per cell 2.4 x 3 = 7.2 dbl 14.4
float 2.20 x3 = 6.6 dbl 13.2
equalize 2.58 x 3 = 7.74 dbl 15.48

So using multiple batteries in a 12 volt bank, I doubled the figures correct?

Also from the combiner box to the controller I need to run only 2 feet of wire, for 30 amps #12 or #10?

tks

Comments

• Chris
    Chris Solar Expert Posts: 135 ✭✭
    Re: controller battery settings

I have the same batteries 4X T-105 wired at 12volt

Trojan recommends
    Absorb 14.8
    Float 13.2
    Equalize 15.5
  • lipets

tks for confirming that
  • Chris

just wanted to point out that there is a big difference between 14.4 & 14.8
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    lipets wrote: »
    Also from the combiner box to the controller I need to run only 2 feet of wire, for 30 amps #12 or #10?

Use #10 --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • lipets
    Chris wrote: »
    just wanted to point out that there is a big difference between 14.4 & 14.8

Ok, but how can I be sure which setting to use?

Please explain or tell me how to calc
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Ok, but how can I be sure which setting to use?

Please explain or tell me how to calc

The batteries are Trojan T-105's?
    Trojan recommends 14.8 Volts Absorb for a 12 Volt system.

Whenever possible follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
  • lipets

ok, that's what I'll set it at

tks
  • AuricTech
    AuricTech Solar Expert Posts: 140 ✭✭

The bigger the wire, the better the current flow. Were it my PV system, I would go with the largest wire gauge the connectors would handle (maybe up to 4 AWG). For a 2-foot wire run, the additional cost of a thicker wire gauge should be minimal, while the potential benefit in reducing voltage drop due to high temperatures at the PV panels should be worth the extra cost of thicker wire.

Then again, it's far too easy for me to spend your money on wiring.... :cool:
  • lipets

after doing more reading the KID buss bar can't take more than #10
  • Chris

I'm running the same controller as well, you'll be fine with 10 awg, did you get the WBjr and battery temp sensor?
  • lipets

battery temp yes not the Wbjr,

Hows it working out for you, I find the nav buttons a bit quirky
  • Chris

I find you do have to push firmly on the buttons......My only complaint is having to wire it prior to mounting...but other then that, I love it

The SOC and end amp features are fantastic.....I'd highly recommend setting up a shunt and the Whiz Bang.....your only getting half the potential out of the controller with out it.
  • lipets
    Chris wrote: »
    recommend setting up a shunt and the Whiz Bang.....your only getting half the potential out of the controller with out it.

I looked at it, just don't see the value, what am I missing then?
  • Chris

well....the Whiz bang tracks all in going and out going power to the batteries.

1 turns the kid into a pretty accurate battery monitor (i find myself running to the controller alot, just to see how much power the kids are pulling lol)
    2 gives you the ability to set the proper absorb stage end amps, then flips to float (Trojan recommends 1% of the amp hr rating for the bank)
    3 when drawing off the batteries wile in float or absorb it will compensate to keep the amps high enough to continue charging

there are other benefits......but I haven't had my morning coffee yet
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

lipets,

This is the most commonly used Shunt for the Classic and the KID. I have not used the WBjr with the KID. It seems a bit large, but the 500 A shunt may still be the easiest to use, as it might be the default value:

http://www.solar-electric.com/mkb-500-50.html

If time permits, will try to check the KID manual/WB manual for any info.

Have Fun, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • lipets

not sure why you need a 500 amp size shunt?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

The 500 amp shunt is for larger systems/AC inverter/etc...

I think the question here is does the Kid/classic have a scaling factor that allows you to use smaller than 500 amp shunts. And does the smaller shunt fit the Wizbang Jr. shunt electronics board default mounting holes (and/or do you want to use some jumper wires to mount the WBJr to a different foot print shunt).

A smaller shunt will (on average) give you more accurate/better resolution readings at lower levels of current.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    not sure why you need a 500 amp size shunt?

That's a fairly standard size and most battery monitors assume that value (although most monitors can be adjusted to work with a different size). It doesn't cost any more to buy a 500 amp shunt than a smaller shunt. Shunts get warm or even hot when in use... a smaller shunt gets hotter than a larger shunt.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Vic

In a quick review of info on the MidNite Solar site, it is stated that the Standard Shunt is the Deltec 500 A 50 mV unit.

For the Classic, recall that there is a Scale Factor, perhaps called something else. Expect that the KID will use the Delted 500A 50mV shunt with NO changes required by the user.

In quickly reviewing the new (and very nice) KID manual, there seems to be no info on the shunt that the KID expects, or a Scale Factor. KID manual here:
    http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/kidManual.pdf

Will check further. Have a KID in use here, and a WB for it, but have not yet installed the WB, as adding MORE PV was a much more important task than the KID WB.

All FWIW, YMMV etc, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Cariboocoot
    Vic wrote: »
    In quickly reviewing the new (and very nice) KID manual, there seems to be no info on the shunt that the KID expects, or a Scale Factor. KID manual here:
    http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/kidManual.pdf

Will check further. Have a KID in use here, and a WB for it, but have not yet installed the WB, as adding MORE PV was a much more important task than the KID WB.

All FWIW, YMMV etc, Vic

Look up the WhizBang Junior, Vic, as that is what uses the shunt; not the controller.
  • Vic

Marc,

First, I do not need to be correct on this ...

The WBjr is primarily an interface board that mounts on a standard Deltec (and others that are compatible). It is powered and communicates with the MidNite Charge Controllers -- the Classic, and the KID at this point).

in and of itself, the WBjr, while being a system, is just an interface board, powered from and sending data to the CC, which uses FirmWare INSIDE the CC.

In looking at the latest Classic Manual -- dtd 1/13 -- there is no info on using the WB, as the WB was not shipping at that time. The Classic manual is currently under revision, as I read it. Had "heard" that the WB setup was migrating to the CC manuals, but do not know.

The latest KID manual has no set up info ... so am not sure the ultimate status of all of this, but with the MN Brat possibly also using the WBjr, it might be more straightforward for the CC manuals to have that data. Dunno.

But, in summary the WBjr option, is not a Battery Monitor, as a stand-alone subsystem. It uses the CC for interface and control.

Weather the CC has the ability to change any FW inside the WBjr or not is an unknown to me.

Perhaps at this point, this is a discussion of Angels and Pins. And for the purpose of this thread, MN says that the Dletec 500 A 50 mV Shunt is what the WB uses. Looked at all of the WBjr Topic on the MN Forum, and found no info on the scale facor. This has been touched on there, but it appears to be in an extended discussion, and have not had the time to poke around in all topics where ' shunt " occurs.

Back to work ... HOT here. YMMV, FWIW, as always, Vic
  • Cariboocoot

I just thought the documentation on the WBjr should contain info regarding shunts, since that is what is attached to the shunt. Since it is a new device that can be used with either the Kid or the Classic this would be the logical place to publish such information.

On the other hand I didn't write any of the MidNite manuals so I'm not responsible for their content (or lack thereof).
  • Vic

And, should have noted previously, that THE ONLY Shunt that MN shows as an Accessory is the Deltec 500A 50 mV shunt:
    http://www.midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?product_ID=101&productCatName=Accessories&productCat_ID=5&sortOrder=9&act=p

The WBjrs in use here read to tenths of one amp with the 500 A shunt. This is perfectly adequate resolution. The Accuracy of the WBjr is not yet speced, but believe that the shunts are calibrated to within one quarter of one percent.

Some day will drag out a lab-grade DVM out here to try to see just how accurate are the WB/shunts in use here. Vic