Tools /Instruments

Novaz
Novaz Solar Expert Posts: 57 ✭✭✭✭
I am looking for some recommendations for tools I will need when I get my Solar System up and running
already have a basic DMM but was thinking of getting a Fluke 35 also that I may need a AC current clamp device ,battery state meter and maybe more
Thanks for any suggestions
Roy

Comments

• tons001
    tons001 Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭
    Re: Tools /Instruments

I rely on my Fluke 376 pretty heavily. I have it for my occupation but it has proven useful for the solar projects as well.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Novaz wrote: »
    I am looking for some recommendations for tools I will need when I get my Solar System up and running
    already have a basic DMM but was thinking of getting a Fluke 35 also that I may need a AC current clamp device ,battery state meter and maybe more

A DC clamp meter is very very desirable. What do you mean by "battery state meter"? Its a good idea to have a current shunt with a battery monitor such as the Trimetric. Hopefully your batteries are flooded and you can use an hydrometer or refractometer.

Also, you would be insane to reach into the battery box with an uninsulated wrench.

vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Novaz
    Novaz Solar Expert Posts: 57 ✭✭✭✭
    vtmaps wrote: »
    A DC clamp meter is very very desirable. What do you mean by "battery state meter"? Its a good idea to have a current shunt with a battery monitor such as the Trimetric. Hopefully your batteries are flooded and you can use an hydrometer or refractometer.

Also, you would be insane to reach into the battery box with an uninsulated wrench.

vtMaps
    Thanks for the reply yes i was thinking of the Trimetric system
    yup have seen tools hitting electrical stuff on race cars so well aware
  • DanS26
    DanS26 Solar Expert Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

I have two tools that I recommend:

1. A Torque screwdriver. Most electricians do not use one....but I am a believer now. A majority of electrical problems are due to loose connections....and it is just a shame to not use the the right tool to set the proper tightness on electrical connections.

2. An infrared temperature sensor gun instrument. This device should be in every DIY toolbox. It is invaluable to spot hot and cold spots. Use it everywhere and in all seasons.
    23.16kW Kyocera panels; 2 Fronius 7.5kW inverters; Nyle hot water; Steffes ETS; Great Lakes RO; Generac 10kW w/ATS, TED Pro System monitoring