What do i need to build a 1600 watt off grid system

dabushdog1
dabushdog1 Registered Users Posts: 1
Hello: I am new to this world of solar power, I am looking to build an off grid cabin on my land in Arizona, I have contacted a solar store and they said i would need a system at least 1600 watts but don't go into detail about exactly what I will need, can someone help me by listing all parts I will need including volts of each battery and how many as well as watts of each panel and how many. so I can have an idea of costs and see if it is cheaper to piece meal together or buy a complete kit plus batteries. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: What do i need to build a 1600 watt off grid system

Welcome to the forum.

What you need is some good advice. That's why we're here. :D

Off-grid systems are not sized by the Watts of array, unlike grid-tie systems. I don't care what the salesmen say. You need a daily Watt hour number to work from.

You need 'X' Watt hours per day. That is supplied by a battery bank of 'so many' Amp hours @ 'such-and-such' a Voltage. The battery bank is recharged by the array of 'Y' Watts via a charge controller. Assuming an AC power system there will also be an inverter capable of meeting the maximum Watt demand.

So your major components are:
    1). Battery bank
    2). Inverter
    3). PV array
    4). Charge controller
    5). Generator for when the sun doesn't shine

Depending on what each of these needs to be there will be minor variations in the mounting hardware and especially wiring (including over-current protection).

Working out the Watt hours and maximum Watts is the most difficult bit, but also the most important. If at all possible you should get a Kill-A-Watt meter and measure the devices that will be used (or similar ones anyway) under typical operating conditions.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: What do i need to build a 1600 watt off grid system

Welcome to the forum Dadbushdog1.

The first question--What is it you want to power? Just some lights, a small water pump, laptop, and cell phone charger? Energy Star refrigerator, well pump? A/C or fans, etc.?

1,600 Watt array sounds like a ~3.3 kWH per day system... Enough to run a small energy efficient home with a Refrigerator and washing machine+lights+laptop computer+charging cells phone, etc... Assuming 4 hours minimum per day (depending on where you are in Arizona--You could get much more sun).

1,600 Watt array * 0.52 system efficiency * 4 hours of sun per day = 3,328 WH per sunny day.

That is, roughly, a medium sized system.... The battery bank would be around:

3,300 WH per day * 1/24 volt battery bank * 1/0.85 inverter eff * 2 days of storage * 1/0.50 maximum discharge for longer battery life = 647 AH @ 24 volt battery bank

And you would want around a ~1.5 to 2 kWatt minimum AC inverter.

Size the system for your needs--Then price it out piece part vs a kit.

Is this what you need/were signing up for?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset