Universal AGM 35ah battery date code

Options
MichaelJ
MichaelJ Registered Users Posts: 23 ✭✭
Greetings,

I would appreciate any info on the date coding Universal uses. This will be a secondary battery for my tiny 12v system. The AGM specs show 12 amp max charging, any my 140watt panel is 8 amp max. And the AGM seems to be more tolerant of less than daily charging (when fully charged).

Thanks, Mike

Comments

• PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Universal AGM 35ah battery date code

What is the date stamped on yours? Does it appear to be a DD/MM/YY coding, or something more complicated?
  • MichaelJ
    Options

Thanks for the reply PNjunction,

Have yet to receive the battery, so I have no idea if it will be open date coded or not.

Mike
  • PNjunction
    Options

Just be sure that upon receipt, the terminal voltage is at no less than 12.4 to 12.5v. If it is, then it is either very old, or even if somewhat new, has been sitting in hot storage for many months.
  • MichaelJ
    Options

Received the battery in perfect condition, factory box within larger box packed with 'peanuts' (thanks naws).

Didn't find a date code on the battery, but 1409 on factory box - I read it as 2014 week 09.

Checked the voltage first thing. 12.9 vdc, don't know if this is high for an AGM, or just a very fresh battery.

Mike
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

12.9v is typical for a freshly shipped agm that has been kept up with its charge. get some tape and mark down that voltage with the date you got the battery and stick it to the battery for future reference.
  • PNjunction
    Options

That 12.9v speaks well of NAWS keeping fresh stock, and storing it properly.

Don't be surprised that after a full charge, that the terminal voltage may even reach as high as 13.1v after a 4 hour rest.

For more information on your UB12350, if you search for your battery here, check out the "specs" link, which has some very useful charts and other info specific to your battery.

http://upgi.com/Products/batterysearch.aspx
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

that's true pnj as my batteries were running high when new too, but they will settle in slightly lower after some time in cycling anywhere from 12.7v to 12.9v depending on age and use. they will still tend to be higher than your fla types.
  • MichaelJ
    Options

Thanks for the info niel, already printed a label with date, volts, etc, right on top of the battery.

Thanks for the link PNjunction, I did my research before purchasing to confirm my panel at 8 amps max would not overcharge. Naws price plus UPS and I got fresh stock and a very fair price.

Mike
  • PNjunction
    Options

You did well!

I can't help it - the propeller on the top of my head is spinning... let's break out the napkin calculator ...

Assuming you don't drag that battery below 50% DOD, that means..

17.5ah withdrawn / 8 amps charging * 1.78 (inefficiency of absorb) = 3.89 hours to reach float. (Thanks to PowerSonic's EXCELLENT users manual - last sentence too!)

So real world, a little more than 4 hours to charge from 50% DOD.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :)