Update Problem Firmware on Morningstar TS-60

simmtron
simmtron Solar Expert Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
Got a problem and Morningstar is not answering my email. I have a Tristar TS-60 pwm controller which was version 1 firmware. I thought I would update firmware to newest version which requires updating bootloader first . OK Plugged controller into computer and updated bootloader as instruction say and got confirmation bootloader was updated with green check. Disconnected battery from controller as instructed. Then loaded file into MSLoad as instructed. Reconnected Battery when prompted. File starts to load Status bar goes up and then stops and say Update Failed. Tried again a few times and keeps failing. Controller will not work now. Any thoughts. I am a computer service person and have updated firmware on many computers and other devices, and followed Morningstars instruction step by step.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Update Problem Firmware on Morningstar TS-60

I will bump this for you. ...

I don't have any help for you, other than you probably need to contact morning star and may need to return to burn the boot prom.

Good luck,
    Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If it is important, and I would think it is, do not depend on e-mail with any corporation. Use a land line!
    simmtron wrote: »
    Got a problem and Morningstar is not answering my email. I have a Tristar TS-60 pwm controller which was version 1 firmware. I thought I would update firmware to newest version which requires updating bootloader first . OK Plugged controller into computer and updated bootloader as instruction say and got confirmation bootloader was updated with green check. Disconnected battery from controller as instructed. Then loaded file into MSLoad as instructed. Reconnected Battery when prompted. File starts to load Status bar goes up and then stops and say Update Failed. Tried again a few times and keeps failing. Controller will not work now. Any thoughts. I am a computer service person and have updated firmware on many computers and other devices, and followed Morningstars instruction step by step.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• simmtron

It is a little important, We are living totally off grid in Mexico, I have the controller bypassed at the moment, so have to shut the breaker off when the voltage gets up to 14.8. And then turn it back on later in the day.
  • simmtron

Ok, have to say I am pleased with the results from Morningstar. They got back to me after a few days, asking a few questions and the serial number. They got back to me saying they have had problems with some controllers with that serial number range updating firmware because of a chip used (built in 2004). They are sending a new controller N/C to replace it. Gotta like it.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I am very happy to hear good news from a poster/vendor.

On occasion, it takes a bit of time and TLC to get things done.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • simmtron

I'll have to say I am impressed with Morningstar customer service. They not only replaced the 9 year old charge controller with a new one but also send a prepaid return ups sticker with the controller .