Wind turbine: because we all need a laugh.

Cariboocoot
Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
I know nothing more about this absurdity other than the picture.

Comments

• Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Wind turbine: because we all need a laugh.

That's screwey looking, for sure.
  • nsaspook
    nsaspook Solar Expert Posts: 396 ✭✭✭

Looks like this gizmo.
    http://dearchimedes.com/
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Hahaha I'm laughing now, but the guy selling these abortions will be having the last laugh when he heads to the bank with all the money people gladly passed over to him.
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

He'll be laughing at us when he raises 1.9Mil with crowdfunding like the solar pavement people did.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭

OK... I'll reveal how little i know about wind... what's so absurd about the turbine? I looked at the web page that nsaspook linked... they claim it is meant to work in turbulent conditions.

It is my understanding that a tower may be more than half the cost of a wind system... If it doesn't need a tower to escape turbulence, couldn't it possibly be cost effective in some locations?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

That thing will not make use of turbulent air (practically impossible to do so), it will create turbulent air. When the wind stream hit that air is going to deflect off it at many angles, changing as the 'blade' revolves, sending air back at the stream deflecting it away from the blade.

I'd love to see a 'smoke test' on this but I guarantee they'd never do it.

There's no reason to believe this would be any more efficient than the same diameter 'standard' blade would be. And every reason to expect it to be less so.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

It is almost impossible to harvest useful energy from turbulent flows. It does not matter how efficient the turbine is. Turbulence is a "rolling" cell in the linear stream. Not easy to extract energy from the "rolling air pockets".

And turbulence is very hard on any mechanical device--The buffeting and torque will stress a tracking turbine.

The Vertical Axis Wind Turbines are supposed to work much better in turbulent air flow--But on average, they are so much less efficient (and usually mounted much closer to the ground), that in many installations, they hardly produce any useful amount of power at all.

This wind turbine uses a lot of material (and support wires) per square foot/meter of size--Lots of drag and difficulty scaling to anything larger.

And, Archimedes screws--Have you seen any used anywhere (other than, water pumps or low head turbines--And even those work by lifting "buckets" of water--Not by total flow like propeller or turbine would)?

http://www.renewablesfirst.co.uk/hydro-learning-centre/archimedean-screw/

Attachment not found.

We have not seen any helicopters with this design flying yet:

Attachment not found.

Harvesting wind requires lots of swept area--Basically the amount of energy harvested goes up with the square of the diameter. The Skystream (RIP) has a 3.7 meter diameter (Skystreams, when they were working well, were one of the most efficient/meet specifications small wind turbine out there):
    BB. wrote: »
    There was one Skystream owner (blog.keepturning.com website long since abandoned) (near Lake Erie?) during the good months, as I remember:

JANES HOUSEHOLD SKYSTREAM kWh RECORD

JAN

FEB

MAR

APR

MAY

JUN

JUL

AUG

SEP

OCT

NOV

DEC

Total

n/a

n/a

n/a

n/a

n/a

n/a

n/a

n/a

n/a

0*

98*

131*

* December, 2007 - Skystream shut down from software problem with cold and would not restart.
    * January, 2008 - Skystream down until the 27th. Produce 98kWh in the 5 days remaining in the month.
    * December, 2009 - Skystream shut down several times and would not restart on it's own, production very low for wind speeds.
    * January, 2010 - Production very low for wind speeds.
    * February, 2010 - Production very low for wind speeds.

-Bill

Looking at there website:

http://dearchimedes.com

It looks like their products range from 0.3 to 0.75 to 1.5 meter diameter units... Using the above numbers (~60' tower in reasonably windy conditions), the likely output would be in the range of:
    • 371 kWH per month * (1.5 meter / 3.7 meter)2 = 61 kWH per month
    • 2,480 kWH per year * (1.5 meter / 3.7 meter)2 = 408 kWH per year

For a Grid Tied solar power system:
    • 408,000 WH per year * 1/0.77 Grid Tied solar inverter eff * 1/5.45 hours per day average sun (SFO airport) * 1/365 days per year = 266 Solar "array"

Using the Betz limit which says you can only extract ~60% of the wind energy, and real life which says a very good wind turbine can only extract ~50% of the energy:

http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/ndsu/klemen/Perfect_Turbine.htm

Using a 10 MPH (4.7 m/s) wind and a 1.5 meter diameter turbine, a good horizontal turbine output would be (scaling against a known good installation):
    • 22.36 kWH/Month/sqmeter * pi (1.5 meter dia/2)2 = 40 kWH per month (very good 35% efficient turbine)
    • 37.70 kWH/Month/sqmeter * pi (1.5 meter dia/2)2 = 67 kWH per month (perfect 59.6% Betz turbine)

From their 1.5 meter data sheet:

http://dearchimedes.com/pdf/Spec_Sheet_Liam_F1_UWT_UK.pdf

We get ~125 watts at 10 mph / 4.7 m/s wind:

125 Watts * 24 hours per day * 30 days per month = 90,000 WH = 90 kWH per month

Over the Betz limit and over twice that of typical "good peforming" turbine.

Their press release:
    De Urban Wind Turbine Liam F1 is een kleine windturbine met een diameter van 1,5 meter en weegt ca. 55 kilogram. Vanwege zijn kleine formaat en gewicht kan hij daarom op bijna elke gevel of dak geïnstalleerd worden. Hij zal in Nederland bij een windsnelheid van 4,5 m/s gemiddeld tussen de 300 en 2500 kilowatt per jaar opwekken. Dit is gemeten op ca. 10 meter hoogte – de gemiddelde hoogte van een dak van een rijtjeshuis).

Google Translate
    The Urban Wind Turbine Liam F1 is a small wind turbine with a diameter of 1.5 meters and weighs about 55 kilograms. Because of its small size and weight, it can therefore be installed on almost any wall or roof. He will raise the 300 and 2,500 kilowatts per year in the Netherlands at a wind speed of 4.5 m / s on average between. This is measured at 10 meters height - the average height of a roof of a terraced house).

2,500 kWH / 12 months = 208 kWH per month
    300 kWH / 12 month = 25 kWH per month (not sure of translation--300 to 2,500 kWH per year???)
    2,500 kWH * 1/365 days per year * 1/24 hours per day = 0.285 kWatt = 285 Watt output best case average output?

According to their spec. sheet, it was ~90 kWH per month at ~4.5 m/s... So--What does the range mean (perhaps not 4.5 m/s average wind?).

285 Watt average output works out to something around 6-7 m/s wind (13.4 to 15.7 MPH). Pretty high average winds for 24 hours per day / 365 days per year.

Anyway--The numbers don't seem to be working out based on either real life or according to math.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.

For Marc, some smoke test images of turbines:

http://www.arising.com.au/aviation/windturbines/wind-turbine.html

Attachment not found.

Very humid air and turbulence from turbines:

http://artsandsciences.colorado.edu/magazine/2013/12/cu-study-a-step-toward-more-efficient-wind-farms/

Attachment not found.

Flow visualization from Stanford University, 1935:

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i've got a good question. how does that thing stay turned into the wind? it is not being used as a vawt as they turned it onto a horizontal axis and would need a vane to turn it into the wind. from what i see it would create turbulence even if there wasn't any to begin with as most of the air is not free to pass without backing up or sidetracking too much. they have much to prove.
  • BB.

From their website, it appears to use a tracking motor.

-Bill
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    i've got a good question. how does that thing stay turned into the wind? it is not being used as a vawt as they turned it onto a horizontal axis and would need a vane to turn it into the wind. from what i see it would create turbulence even if there wasn't any to begin with as most of the air is not free to pass without backing up or sidetracking too much. they have much to prove.
    The pivot is offset from to the center of pressure of the turbine wheel which should allow it to yaw naturally to follow the wind direction if I am analyzing it correctly. Any powered yaw might just be for furling in high winds. But from the look of the rotor, it might start acting like a Savonius when crosswise to the wind. :)
    My concern is that even with ideal air flow the boundary friction on the enormous sail surface of the rotor would kill the efficiency.
    But that is just a gut feeling, not a calculation.

Since they have to be shipped with the rotor already deployed and shaped, that will be a limit on transportation and installation too.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • AuricTech
    AuricTech Solar Expert Posts: 140 ✭✭

~tongue-in-cheek~

Is it just me, or does that thing look as though it could be some mad scientist's attempt to build an antenna that narrowcasts focused mind-control rays? Something one might see in a 1950s B-movie?

~tongue-in-cheek~
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Or , was it Dr. No...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._No_%28film%29 middle of para #2

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • BB.

Yea--I was wrong, from the data sheet in my earlier post:
    Yaw Control: None yawing by rotorshape

-Bill
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    AuricTech wrote: »
    ~tongue-in-cheek~

Is it just me, or does that thing look as though it could be some mad scientist's attempt to build an antenna that narrowcasts focused mind-control rays? Something one might see in a 1950s B-movie?

~tongue-in-cheek~

guess what? such an antenna does exist as it is called a spiral antenna. it is a circularly polarized antenna that would be directional from the larger portion toward the smaller point.