Canadian Solar or CentroSolar panels?

HX_Guy
HX_Guy Solar Expert Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
Talked to my installer today and he said his supplier just ordered a container worth of Canadian Solar 310w (72 cell) panels because of some upcoming import tariff so he could use the Canadian Solar panels instead of the CentroSolar that he spec'd for the job previously for the same price.

The CentroSolar panels are made in the US, which is nice, but Canadian Solar is more commonly used I believe? I would need less Canadian Solar panels, but because they are bigger, the layout is virtually identical. Which would you guys go with and why?

Comments

• AuricTech
    AuricTech Solar Expert Posts: 140 ✭✭
    Re: Canadian Solar or CentroSolar panels?

Keeping in mind that I'm still new to the world of PV power, here's my $0.02 worth on the subject:

Were it my planned PV system, I would certainly consider changing from the CentroSolar PV panels to the Canadian Solar panels if it resulted in either of these two factors:
    • More power for the same installation cost
    • The same power for a lower installation cost
    If redesigning your planned PV system would add to the final cost and/or time to build your PV system, take that into account as well.

After weighing those two factors, you must decide how much of a cost premium (if any) you want to give US-made components. Obviously, such a value judgement is both personal and subjective, so I have no advice to give you here....
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

See if your installer will tell you about their failure rate--My installer could see some had very high replacement rates after 5+ years vs others that had zero.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • HX_Guy
    HX_Guy Solar Expert Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    AuricTech wrote: »
    Keeping in mind that I'm still new to the world of PV power, here's my $0.02 worth on the subject:

Were it my planned PV system, I would certainly consider changing from the CentroSolar PV panels to the Canadian Solar panels if it resulted in either of these two factors:
    • More power for the same installation cost
    • The same power for a lower installation cost
    If redesigning your planned PV system would add to the final cost and/or time to build your PV system, take that into account as well.

After weighing those two factors, you must decide how much of a cost premium (if any) you want to give US-made components. Obviously, such a value judgement is both personal and subjective, so I have no advice to give you here....

Cost would stay the same, as would system size (12,000w vs 12,090w). The Canadian Solar setup would take a bit longer I guess as the panels won't be in for 3 weeks whereas the CentroSolar could be had in the next few days. May not matter either way because we have to wait for permitting, racking, wiring so that will take 3+ weeks anyway. Basically a wash.

One thing in CentroSolar's advantage though is the warranty.Basically same warranty on each, 10 year on workmanship and materials and 25 year on power production.

CentroSolar however has their US headquarters is about 40 minutes from my house, would make for an easier repair/replacement. I actually talked to them about the process if a panel needs replaced and they said I would contact the original installer to come inspect it and if found faulty, CentroSolar would pay for labor and the replacement. If the original installer is no longer in business, they would send a 3rd party company and same would apply.

Canadian Solar's process sounds a lot worse. Basically if the customer feels a panel is defective, they have to request an RMA and then ship the panel, at the customer's expense, to Ontario, Canada. After inspecting the panel, if it's found faulty, they will repair ore replace it and ship it back, again at the customer's expense. That seems like pretty crappy customer service.