Help with solar roof tiles

Options
JimNAZ
JimNAZ Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭
Hello,

I was left over 100 of these small panels on a piece of land we purchased. These have been left in a pile outside in the elements. Some of them face up. I know nothing about them or how they work (as a roof tile/wiring/etc). I brought a couple home and tried to test them to see if they work. Not sure I am doing it correctly.
I set my multimeter to DC V 20. One panel I read ~5+ and the other nothing. I then tried to read amps so I set to DC A. I first tried 20m since it is supposed to be around 7. Did not get a reading on either panel. I proceeded to try different settings with still no readings.
These are pre-wired with plugs. All I am doing it putting the black tip to the - and the red tip to the +.

Am I doing something wrong? I can accept that some of these panels may not work and I might have just selected a couple bad ones. I would hate to think all 125 are bad. I was hoping to use them for something.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jim

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Help with solar roof tiles

Well you should set your meter for the 10 Amp scale and check the current in direct, full sun.

Since Voc is supposed to be over 6 and you got 5 and nothing I wouldn't hold out much hope.

My advice is to flog 'em as-is for someone who has money and time to waste.