Solar Panel maintenance

Options
drraptor
drraptor Solar Expert Posts: 218 ✭✭
Should I wash these panels with water ? Will it help in anyway ?

DJey5pr.jpg
toUBWeS.jpg

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Solar Panel maintenance

looks like water marks which is dirt mixed with water and the water evaporates leaving spots of concentrated dirt. yes, wash off the pvs. if just water doesn't work then try a bit of soap too and rinse well. some like to use window squeegees on the glass, which works well too if you can reach them with it.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    drraptor wrote: »
    Will it help in anyway ?
    Well, the deposits, whatever they are, on the panels are enough to reflect/diffuse back a good amount of light.
    Not necessarily as bad as it seems, in that 5% light dispersion might only be a difference between 97% and 92% transmission, but if the better part of any single cell is covered you will see a performance hit.

Test in a small area first. If the deposits do not come off with plain water, try a mild soap or detergent in water.
    If they still do not come off, try an area which is NOT close to the panel seal and carefully apply a lime remover type product such as CLR to see if that does the job.
    If that works and nothing else does, you will have to figure out what the risk is and what protective steps you can take (such as Frog Tape (TM) over the sealing edges) before trying to treat the whole panel surface.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

I have used window washing solution from the hardware store before--It actually cleaned my panels pretty well (have not washed mine on the 2nd story roof--I am still getting more GT power than I need anyway--So why climb the ladder).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

We get that a lot down here in the desert, I like to call it mud rain. The leading winds in the rain storm stirs up the desert dust and the rain falls through it.

I hose my panels pretty regularly.
  • Skippy
    Skippy Solar Expert Posts: 310 ✭✭
    Options

Good things too know, I haven't connected mine yet, and the birds are pooping all over em . .
    2 - 255W + 4 - 285W PV - Tristar 60 amp MPPT CC / 3 - 110W PV -wired for 36V- 24V Sunsaver MPPT CC / midnite bat. monitor.
    1 KW PSW inverter 24V / 2.5 KW MSW inverter-24V ~ 105 AHR battery.
    3 ton GSHP.- 100 gallon warm water storage / house heat - radiant floor / rad
    9 -220W PV - net meter - Enphase inverters and internet reporting system.
    420 Gallon rain water system for laundry.***  6" Rocket Mass Heater with 10' bed for workshop heat.
    Current project is drawing up plans for a below grade Hobbit / underground home.
    Google "undergroundandlovinit" no spaces.
  • drraptor
    drraptor Solar Expert Posts: 218 ✭✭
    Options

Washed it with a small amount of water, and cleaned it with dry sponge. It was water (rain or dew), leaving it's marks. We didn't had any rain since last week (Installed this mono crystalline panel last sunday) but still it had these marks.

Tip: Use either a completely dry Sponge or try it squeeze out as much water as you can after every swipe.