New system in Florida

wilsonbh
wilsonbh Solar Expert Posts: 57 ✭✭✭
I only have two areas of my roof that can support panels. Both are angled as opposites. One facing south and one north and both have a slope of about 15 degrees. The width is 26 feet wide by 18' deep. I live in Florida at zip code 32952 on the east coast near Cape Canaveral.

I was thinking of 10 or maybe 12 panels with a Xantrex 3.3 inverter. I want to do it all myself. Any advice?

Bill

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: New system in Florida

I've moved this to its own thread to keep responses focused.

First you'll need to check about regulations regarding set-backs and such for panels. Larger Watt panels are simply bigger, so saying "ten or twelve" is not specific; you need to determine how many Watts can fit in the space available.

Angle of the array can be optimized despite roof angle by adjusting the mounting. The North side is probably impractical to put any panels on as they may need too much hardware to adjust the angle to best insolation.

Then you need to have a look at PV Watts. Put in the data for your area and try a few array sizes; see what kind of output you can expect. Plan, plan, and plan again.

As for doing it all yourself you'll need to check with the local authority to see if this is allowed. Inspections will no doubt be required, as will co-operation from the utility, and they may require a license electrician to do at least some of the work.

There are a few forum members who are in Florida and will be more familiar with the specifics there.
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    wilsonbh wrote: »
    I only have two areas of my roof that can support panels. Both are angled as opposites. One facing south and one north and both have a slope of about 15 degrees. The width is 26 feet wide by 18' deep. I live in Florida at zip code 32952 on the east coast near Cape Canaveral.

I was thinking of 10 or maybe 12 panels with a Xantrex 3.3 inverter. I want to do it all myself. Any advice?

Bill

Based on where you live, I am guessing you are talking about a grid-tie system?
    Off-Grid would be impractical for the limited amount of space you have and the certainty that you will need to run air conditioning.
    Although I can't help but wonder if you are thinking about having a "backup" when we get the wonderful hurricanes? If so, then you would be talking more along the lines of a hybrid grid-tie system. And my advice is to forget about it. It is not practical or affordable. A small Honda 2000i generator is quiet and will run your fridge and a few necessary items (even a small window AC unit) all for under $1000 rather than $20k+

Also, it would require more space for panels than you have available. Also, your electric rates are likely in line with mine in my on-grid home in Florida which are only about $0.12/kwh which is quite cheap compared to the rest of the country. An off-grid system would NEVER pay for itself and a grid-tie would also likely take a VERY long time to pay off (if ever).

But if you insist, first you need to check with your local city and if you are in a "development" to see if it would even be ALLOWED. Florida is the king of "homeowner-associations" and considering they complain if you don't mow your lawn on Sundays, then I doubt they are going to want the "eyesore" of solar panels on a roof.

As far as doing it yourself, most counties in Florida allow "owner builder" permits. However, you are still bound to the inspections, etc. And many times with owner-builder permits they are MUCH more strict. Some counties even make you take a short test (electrical for example) before they will issue the permit. Many of the things you will need to do are going to be tricky things. Meaning, roof penetrations for your racks. No simple task. Especially (am I right) if you have a tile roof? It is difficult to mount racks on those without causing leaks. Not to mention you will have to get an engineered rack and have it mounted to withstand 120mph winds which will add a lot to your cost and labor.

The electrical side, you might be able to do some of that, but again, you would need an engineered drawing, etc.
    Not sure about you, but my time is worth something and I am sure yours is too. Sometimes, I feel it is better to have someone else do something that I may be "capable of" but it is just more efficient for me to pay them to do it because they do it all the time.

We do have great sun here but as mentioned the North side of of your roof would be useless mounting them directly to the roof.
    You would have to engineer a rack that tilts the panels tot he south meaning that they would be standing up 10' high on the north edge of your roof, and back to the 120mph thing, that would be a HUGE structure (both physical size and cost). You'd spend more money in racking than you would for everything else combined!

But, tell us more of what you really want to try to do and perhaps we can find something "in the middle".
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

You can use PV Watts to estimate the output from your two planes:

Facing South:

"Station Identification"
    "City:","Daytona_Beach"
    "State:","Florida"
    "Lat (deg N):", 29.18
    "Long (deg W):", 81.05
    "Elev (m): ", 12
    "PV System Specifications"
    "DC Rating:"," 4.0 kW"
    "DC to AC Derate Factor:"," 0.770"
    "AC Rating:"," 3.1 kW"
    "Array Type: Fixed Tilt"
    "Array Tilt:"," 15.0"
    "Array Azimuth:","180.0"

"Energy Specifications"
    "Cost of Electricity:"," 9.0 cents/kWh"

"Results"
    "Month", "Solar Radiation (kWh/m^2/day)", "AC Energy (kWh)", "Energy Value ($)"
    1, 3.82, 342, 30.78
    2, 4.57, 374, 33.66
    3, 5.59, 499, 44.91
    4, 6.25, 525, 47.25
    5, 6.35, 544, 48.96
    6, 6.11, 499, 44.91
    7, 6.14, 520, 46.80
    8, 5.83, 498, 44.82
    9, 5.43, 451, 40.59
    10, 4.56, 395, 35.55
    11, 4.17, 356, 32.04
    12, 3.70, 332, 29.88
    "Year", 5.21, 5336, 480.24

And facing north:

"Station Identification"
    "City:","Daytona_Beach"
    "State:","Florida"
    "Lat (deg N):", 29.18
    "Long (deg W):", 81.05
    "Elev (m): ", 12
    "PV System Specifications"
    "DC Rating:"," 4.0 kW"
    "DC to AC Derate Factor:"," 0.770"
    "AC Rating:"," 3.1 kW"
    "Array Type: Fixed Tilt"
    "Array Tilt:"," 15.0"
    "Array Azimuth:"," 0.0"

"Energy Specifications"
    "Cost of Electricity:"," 9.0 cents/kWh"

"Results"
    "Month", "Solar Radiation (kWh/m^2/day)", "AC Energy (kWh)", "Energy Value ($)"
    1, 2.20, 172, 15.48
    2, 3.10, 242, 21.78
    3, 4.34, 379, 34.11
    4, 5.57, 469, 42.21
    5, 6.22, 537, 48.33
    6, 6.19, 511, 45.99
    7, 6.13, 522, 46.98
    8, 5.40, 462, 41.58
    9, 4.53, 374, 33.66
    10, 3.34, 278, 25.02
    11, 2.55, 198, 17.82
    12, 2.11, 166, 14.94
    "Year", 4.31, 4312, 388.08

About 20% less power, affects mostly non-summer production because of north facing array.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Spacecoast Solar
    Spacecoast Solar Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
    wilsonbh wrote: »

Bill

Bill, I Live in Brevard. Check your private messages for info. George