lower SG

Options
arby
arby Solar Expert Posts: 107 ✭✭
I performed an Equalization charge on my Surettes and it seems that with random hydrometer tests, the SG went lower.
Is this possible, and if so , why?
TIA
3310 watts panels, Classic 200 controller, 8 Surette S530's, Xantrex 5548 inverter, Honda EX5500 backup Genny.

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: lower SG
    arby wrote: »
    I performed an Equalization charge on my Surettes and it seems that with random hydrometer tests, the SG went lower.
    Is this possible, and if so , why?
    TIA
    This is not generally possible for the true SG, although the equalization charge might reduce stratification and cause a lower apparent SG if and only if you were dipping your hydrometer tube to the very bottom of the cell instead of from the top.

The other thing to consider is that you probably increased the battery temperature quite a bit and if you are not applying temperature compensation to the SG reading (either from a compensating hydrometer or from manual calculation) you will read a lower SG for the warmer electrolyte.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Also check that you have not "sucked up" too much liquid and have the float hitting the screen/physical barricade at the top of the glass tube, which would not permit the float to find it's proper level. Another possibility is fine gas bubbles in the electrolyte, the result of recent EQ "overcharge", this would cause the float to sink lower until all the gas is released. Wait an hour or so after charging and try again, being careful to only draw up enough liquid to raise the float so it floats freely.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Another possibility is fine gas bubbles in the electrolyte, the result of recent EQ "overcharge", this would cause the float to sink lower until all the gas is released.

Huh? In my experience, the small bubbles stick to the float and cause the float to float higher, not sink lower. Are you suggesting that small bubbles in the electrolyte make it less dense (causing the float to sink lower)?

Arby, hydrometers need to be clean to work reliably. You must rinse them with distilled water after every use. If you don't rinse them, the surfaces get sticky and the float will stick to the sides of the tube and give you erroneous results. Before I figured this out, I used to get any reading I wanted... I just kept tapping the hydrometer until the float stuck in the position that made me happiest. :p

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • arby
    arby Solar Expert Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    Huh? In my experience, the small bubbles stick to the float and cause the float to float higher, not sink lower. Are you suggesting that small bubbles in the electrolyte make it less dense (causing the float to sink lower)?

Arby, hydrometers need to be clean to work reliably. You must rinse them with distilled water after every use. If you don't rinse them, the surfaces get sticky and the float will stick to the sides of the tube and give you erroneous results. Before I figured this out, I used to get any reading I wanted... I just kept tapping the hydrometer until the float stuck in the position that made me happiest. :p

--vtMaps

I like that system. )))
    Same when I am going down south for a week. I check all of the weather forecasters until I get one that says sunny every day.
    3310 watts panels, Classic 200 controller, 8 Surette S530's, Xantrex 5548 inverter, Honda EX5500 backup Genny.