Should this system work ok

Options
Kitaldo
Kitaldo Registered Users Posts: 2
Hi Should this work, 4 80 watt panels a 30 amp mppt controller and two Trojan T105s for a 12 volt off grid system. I use about 200 watts per day.
Thanks

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Should this system work ok

Welcome to the forum.

Well four 80 Watt panels is 320 Watts and ought to put out about 20 Amps using an MPPT controller on a 12 Volt system. That's a peak charge rate of 9% on a pair of Trojans (225 Amp hours) so yes, it should work.

Assuming you mean you use 200 Watt hours per day (the time factor is important) it should also be able to supply that. In fact it should be able to supply 3X that assuming 4 hours equivalent good sun.
  • Kitaldo
    Kitaldo Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options

Hi thanks for replying, I mainly use power in the evening for lighting and tv and sat and 200w would be max i would use.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Kitaldo wrote: »
    Hi thanks for replying, I mainly use power in the evening for lighting and tv and sat and 200w would be max i would use.

Not to be excessively redundant but ...
    200 Watts is a rate. As in two 100 Watt bulbs running.
    200 Watt hours is a quantity. As in one 100 Watt bulb running for two hours.
    It is important not to mix them up.
    For example my refrigerator draws 120 Watts but uses 1200 Watt hours in a day. By the same token my satellite modem draws 50 Watts but also uses 1200 Watt hours in a day. Or at least it would if I left it on all the time.
    That's the difference: the amount of time it is on. (Refrigerator actually only runs 1/3 of the time).