Solar Powered Surveillance Trailer

Options
BilljustBill
BilljustBill Solar Expert Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
I guess it goes to show you, you never know what you'll find at a Garage Sale....

This last Saturday morning, at 7:15 a.m., we went back to the same nearby community sale with the high hopes that more people would be setup.... At the same house I saw and passed on a 85w solar panel on Friday, there setting in the driveway were two more solar panels.... They were Kyocera 135w, 12v, panels, but they were attached to something else.....
I walked over to it and the fellow came over. He remembered I was looking at the small single panel, on Friday. Out of nothing but sheer curiosity, I asked him how much something like this would sell for.... He said after a rather long pause, "Well, Today?". By the long pause in his voice, I was ready for the brick wall.... He continued, " I'll take $300.00!"
That kind of answer just blindsided me; you know that amount wouldn't even buy and ship a single 135w Kyocera panel, even with lower panel costs today! In the next 5 minutes he explained the system was used as a mobile solar powered security system for companies doing work in rather remote areas. It has a Cisco router and a data uplink hooked to a motion detector and Infrared camera. All bolted on a hydraulic raised folding boom that extends upward 30 ft. high. You could see your security area via an Internet link. The batteries size, and the amp draw would allow 24hr security, even if there was no sun for "10 days".

I paid the fellow, and in a calm and rather sheepish way, I asked if he would write me a receipt. I needed some reassurance on two fronts: One, that it wasn't stolen.... and .... Two, it would be there when I came back. .
All the while of the remaining morning, I was so excited, I could hardly hold another thought in my head. I kept having a feeling of anxiousness as I found other items in the same neighborhood sale as well as back at local garage sale activity. At 11:30, when we went back, sure enough, it was still there!............

It has a "Mobotix 12" video camera and something else bolted to the masts. I found some info on it:
Amazon.com: Mobotix M12D-Sec-Night-N22N135 Outdoor Mega Dual Camera with Night Time 22mm Super Wide-Angle and 135mm Telephoto Lens, Power over Ethernet and Video Motion Detection: Camera & Photo

I'm considering keeping all the electronics, batteries, and solar panels and then selling the boom and trailer, maybe on Craigslist? By the pics, what would you say it would sell for?

Thanks,
Bill
Bill

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Solar Powered Surveillance Trailer

what a find you got. the batteries are probably questionable. i'd be hard pressed to guess the value on the trailer as they aren't cheap, but yours is a specialty trailer few would use except from a solar standpoint. here might be a good place to list it too. i'm thinking a guesstimate of no less than $250, but what do i know. it almost looks like one of the solar trailers one might see on the highway when repairs are being done, but without the large sign on it. you should've tried to dicker him down further as you never know.
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Options

Another area that may show some interest is a HAM operator that wants a mobile base for antenna's Mobile command post or doing long distance communications.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

good point as i'm sure there's some possibilities there.
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Options

Too bad he wasn't close I would get it!
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • BilljustBill
    BilljustBill Solar Expert Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    Options
    SkiDoo55 wrote: »
    Too bad he wasn't close I would get it!

What would be a fair price, as is, or with the panels, batteries, and electronics removed? ;)
    Bill
  • PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    Options

I'd see if you could get a deal without the batteries. Someone has placed an AGM from Universal Battery in parallel with the two Exide flooded batts. Not good.

Maybe the original project failed due to this, or these were just cobbled together to make the lights flash for prospective purchaser, and the original batteries went elsewhere. Although protected, I'd still like to see a fuse near the battery posts.

No idea on the value, but make the seller do the recycling on those mismatched and abused batts.