Bulk/Absorption time & gen max charge amps

Options
stmar
stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
I had something happen last night so wanted to see if there was an explanation. Grid went down, don't know when, light flickered is how I knew. Went to check and inverter was on Bulk, went back 15 minutes later and it was on Float. My Absorption timer is set for 2 hours. I have two questions about this:
1. Is there a situation where the Absorption time would be terminated early?
2. I thought the light flicker alerted me to the Bulk charge starting but am not sure. Could another event cause the flicker, say a freezer starting, and the Bulk started earlier than I thought?
It seems to be functioning properly, no alerts or errors.

This question is unrelated to above. Does your Set Max Charge amps AC (Menu #10 Battery Charging) need to be the same or lower than the Set Gen (AC2) amps AC (Menu #11 AC Inputs)? I have my Set Max Charge amps set to 15 amps but my generator is only rated at 13 amps. Do I need to set the Max Charge amps lower when I use the generator?

SW4024, 512 ah AGM battery bank, grid tied.

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Bulk/Absorption time & gen max charge amps

Inverters differ as to how low the voltage drop and for how long before a Re-bulk is triggered, some are fixed and some you can set. Sometimes it will run a re-bulk , but since the batteries are charged , it will be very fast as it ramps up and down and the Absorb timer never re-sets.

I posted about you Inverter setting, you ACin should be at or below your Generators Output amp capability. If you settings are in 5 amp increments, choose 10 amps. If you choose 15 amps you'll overload it. You also have to take into account any pass through loads.
  • stmar
    Options

Thanks, it happened again this morning so I think you are correct that the timer did not reset, we timed it at 1.5 hours. We are getting a lot of bumps on the grid.

For the generator; it has an AC-2 in that will be set below the 13 amps generator output, probably 10 amps as you suggested. Does the Max Charge amps need to be at 10 also or is that handled by the AC-2 input value? I don't mind changing it when I use the generator since I will manually start and stop it and be in the Menu anyway, in fact it would probably not hurt to just put it on 10 amps all the time since I am on the grid.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

stmar,

When running on generator, current for the Charger in the SW4024, and all AC loads that are on this inverter's AC output must be carried by the generator. So, perhaps set the AC in max to about 12 A, and the Charger AC amps below this value. This genset is fairly small, so you may need to manually manage the AC loads on the system when the genset is running ... you probably know all of this.

AND, this is a Trace/Xantrex SW4024 - more than a decade old. In the divine wisdom of Schneider (who bought Xantrex), they have a new SW4024. It IS called a Context SW 4024, but most folks do not add the manufacturer of the unit that they are referring to, so there will be almost constant confusion about the exact unit that you have and are referring to ... not your problem, really, but this uncertainty will cause you to be asked time and time again about the details of your system.

To save you a lot of typing and time, waiting for replies specific for your system, it will probably help, if you could add a Signature line, stating the details of your system, and exact model numbers for batts, and Inverter, and the amount of PV, etc. A general location might also help, and sometimes stating that you are Grid-Interactive, or whatever your config is when the Topic is not specific. You also know this, Thanks.
    Just my opinions. Good Luck, looks like your battery backed inverter system is a good idea! Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • stmar
    Options

Thanks for the advice. Now a simple question: How did you do your signature line/description?
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi stmar,

OK, click your Forum name on this Thread, or anywhere else that that it appears blue. Click "view Profile". At the upper part of the displayed page, click the "About Me Tab" -- just below the Wind Sun Store yellow Banner. Then click the "View Profile as seen by others" In the same area as the View Profile, will be "Edit Profile" (or something similar)

This may not be exactly how, but it should be close. Yell if that does not work. There may also be other ways to get there.
    Thanks. VIc
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Under "Settings" and "Edit Signature"... Or click here:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/profile.php?do=editsignature

You also have to click "show signature" on your last or next post (under "Go Advanced" editing)...

I will put a place holder in your signature and edit your last post to get you going (you cannot "show signature" until you have one).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset