Tesla is a good looking IT department on wheels

BB.
BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
Interesting article:

http://jalopnik.com/the-tesla-model-s-is-basically-a-good-looking-it-depart-1558372928
It's pretty well known that modern cars are full of little computers talking to each other. This internal network, known as the CAN bus, is pretty specific to cars and as a result is pretty unfamiliar to most people. Tesla, of course, loves to be different. And by different, I mean not different. Hear me out.
Recently, an intrepid and curious Tesla owner found a hidden four-pin connector, and with a hunch and some trial-and-error work discovered that it is in fact an ethernet port, and wired up a standard ethernet cable to connect to it.
This evening I got a call from service center
They told me Tesla USA engineers seen a tentative of hacking on my car...
I explained it was me because I tried to connect the diagnosis port to get some useful data (speed, power, etc...). They told me it can be related to industrial espionage and advised me to stop investigation, to not void the warranty....
Don't know if they really seen something in the log, because I just sniffed the network. Or maybe they seen the port scanning with nmap ? Or maybe they just read this topic ?

-Bill
Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset

Comments