My First Solar System

Options
I have 40W Solar Panel. I would like build a solar system. What are the items are I need and what are the Electronic items Can I use in this Panel ?

About My Solar Pannel

Nominal Peak Power-37.5W

Minimal Peak Power-33.7W

Current at 14Volt-2.2A

Short Circuit Current-2.3A

Peak Power Voltage-16.5

Open Circuit Voltage-21.5

Maximum System Voltage-100V

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: My First Solar System

Welcome to the forum.

This is the reverse of the way a system is normally designed: "have panel, what can I do with it?" :D

Ordinarily you go about it from the direction of "need 'this much' power, how do I supply it?"

There's not much you can do with that panel because of two factors; it's not very large and the Vmp is only 16.5 Volts.

Let's examine that last fact first. Normally on a 12 Volt system the Vmp would be 17.5 or even 18. With it down at 16.5 the combined factors of heat and wire loss can reduce the Voltage to the point that by the time the power reaches the battery there is no longer sufficient V to fully charge.

The power rating of the panel means at best it could deliver perhaps 180 Watt hours per day. That's not a lot for most applications. For example its meager 2.2 Amp output would be good enough to recharge a battery of perhaps 40 Amp hours @ 12 Volts, providing no loads were drawn at the same time.

What could you do with this panel? Keep a car battery maintained while not being used. Experiment with small electronics charging. Find out a bit about solar energy and how it works.