Battery Terminal Maintenance

Mangas
Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭
Three times a year top up and inspect my L16 battery banks.

Everything is clean and dry except one battery terminal has got residue which I need to clean off. A good battery terminal product out there to safely prevent the crud? Why only one terminal when the others are spotless? Lug is tight.

Searching around for products, I see battery manufacturers have very significantly raised prices since I built my system in 2006. I can't believe it's just cost but maybe solar popularity too?

Battery care and maintenence sure has a whole new meaning to me now!
Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Battery Terminal Maintenance

Cost=lead commodity prices due to world wide demand.

As for crud of the terminals. As the batteries out gas, some of the gas can accumulate on the posts or the cables. It may be also be a sign that you have a bad cell, if one cell is gassing much more than the rest. Bad cell may not be in the battery that has the affected post however. Look at how you battery box is vent(ed) (ing). Also, clean all the terminals and properly tighten.

How much water do you need to add 3 time a year,

Tony
  • Mangas

Hi Tony, thanks for the help.

I guess I'm a bit of a perfectionist maintenance wise.

I've got 64 Trojan L16s. It's only one battery. Checked the cells and appears ok. Cables, terminals and batteries are spotless otherwise. Solar mechanical room has an air extraction system and is well vented.

Distilled water usage is running about 28 gallons a year as follows: January/April 8 gallons, May/August 11 gallons and Sept/Dec about 9 gallons. I pull the miser caps off because I've broken a couple of them flipping the caps up (hinges broke).
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

you could also try rearranging the batteries in your series string so that those batteries at the +/- power input connections are now interior. i'll bet it was one of those batteries that did connect to the power that had this happen. also, track that particular battery to be sure if it happens again after rearranging that you know if it is due to that battery or just the system stressing the outer batteries.
    be sure of your specific gravity and electrolyte levels and when was the last time you did an eq?
  • Mangas

Thanks Niel for the navigation and suggestions.

I think what I'll do is clean it up and see if it reappears. If it does then rearrange as you suggested.

Will check SG too but believe electrolyte level is ok.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

you're welcome and good luck with that. keep us informed of any developements.