SolarCity Freezes Energy Storage Program as Utilities Resist Grid Connections

RSSfeed
RSSfeed Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭
feature-0-1395325424275.jpg SolarCity Corp., the biggest developer of U.S. rooftop solar panels, halted efforts to install and connect systems that include batteries for power storage because California’s utilities are reluctant to link them to the electric grid.

More...

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: SolarCity Freezes Energy Storage Program as Utilities Resist Grid Connections

Because utilities are stupid and obstinate. Battery-based GT systems function no differently than standard GT systems as far as the grid is concerned.
  • bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: SolarCity Freezes Energy Storage Program as Utilities Resist Grid Connections
    Because utilities are stupid and obstinate. Battery-based GT systems function no differently than standard GT systems as far as the grid is concerned.

From what I've heard (from an APS spokesperson) some utiltities are worried about energy arbitrage. (This of course ignores the fact that it would 1-help them with peak loads and 2-makes no financial sense anyway.) I'll ask SDG+E next time I get a chance.
  • pleppik
    pleppik Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭✭✭
    From what I've heard (from an APS spokesperson) some utiltities are worried about energy arbitrage. (This of course ignores the fact that it would 1-help them with peak loads and 2-makes no financial sense anyway.) I'll ask SDG+E next time I get a chance.

And here I always thought that the whole point of time-of-use pricing was to encourage energy arbitrage. For example, by running the dishwasher at night instead of the day to save money on the electricity.

I suspect that what they're really afraid of is that customers can install battery banks faster than the power company can adjust the pricing to compensate.
  • bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    pleppik wrote: »
    And here I always thought that the whole point of time-of-use pricing was to encourage energy arbitrage. For example, by running the dishwasher at night instead of the day to save money on the electricity.

From what the APS guy said, they were more worried about people buying power at 8 cents a kilowatt hour, storing it, and reselling it at 16 cents a kilowatt hour.
    I suspect that what they're really afraid of is that customers can install battery banks faster than the power company can adjust the pricing to compensate.

I think Hanlon's Razor applies here - never ascribe malice when simple incompetence will suffice to explain something.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    From what the APS guy said, they were more worried about people buying power at 8 cents a kilowatt hour, storing it, and reselling it at 16 cents a kilowatt hour.

"Time shifting". Even though it benefits the utility (if their claims of peak-time power shortages are to be believed) and costs the homeowner (impractical parameters and reduces battery life from cycling).

In fact the whole TOU rate structure system does nothing to alleviate peak power demands, it just makes it cost more. Makes for nice profits though. When was the last time you saw a utility reporting a loss?
    I think Hanlon's Razor applies here - never ascribe malice when simple incompetence will suffice to explain something.

Yep. Many of the world's problems can be defined this way.