Is Wind Power a Bad Idea in Tucson Desert

terminator
terminator Registered Users Posts: 5
I live out in Tucson, Arizona and it appears to be a bad zone for wind. Should I just forget about wind and go with more solar panels?

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Is Wind Power a Bad Idea in Tucson Desert

You have it right, more solar is the way to go, not enough wind in southern AZ to get any usable power out of. The places that get wind usually will have some commercial wind around, like west Texas. We get huge solar inputs and of course solar requires no maintenance, is less complex and more reliable here in the big hot box.
  • bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    terminator wrote: »
    I live out in Tucson, Arizona and it appears to be a bad zone for wind. Should I just forget about wind and go with more solar panels?

Unless you live on a ridgeline or on the top of a mountain - yes. Solar is going to be easier and cheaper.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Unless you live on a ridgeline or on the top of a mountain - yes. Solar is going to be easier and cheaper.

Based on my research, I think that even if you do live on a ridgeline, solar is easier and cheaper. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i