I did not realize how large a 270 watt panel is!

Options
Skyko
Skyko Solar Expert Posts: 121 ✭✭✭✭✭
Truck just delivered five 270 watt mono panels. Four will go on our truck camper and the fifth for spare or playing around.

They are bigger than I had visualized, even though I had CAD modeled them. A bit floppy. I am going to have to really ponder the mounting/tilt system so it gives quite a bit of backside support. Perhaps I will use three cross rails behind the panels.

I still can't get over the fact that just a couple of years ago I was looking at panels for $5 a watt. Soon it will cost more to ship than the panels cost.

Comments

• arby
    arby Solar Expert Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: I did not realize how large a 270 watt panel is!
    Skyko wrote: »
    Truck just delivered five 270 watt mono panels. Four will go on our truck camper and the fifth for spare or playing around.

They are bigger than I had visualized, even though I had CAD modeled them. A bit floppy. I am going to have to really ponder the mounting/tilt system so it gives quite a bit of backside support. Perhaps I will use three cross rails behind the panels.

I still can't get over the fact that just a couple of years ago I was looking at panels for $5 a watt. Soon it will cost more to ship than the panels cost.

About 7 or 8 years ago I started with 2 used panels which I got for $7 a watt.
    This spring I am going to mount 6X 285 watt panels. The pole, concrete, and mounting equipment will easily outstrip the cost of the panels.
    3310 watts panels, Classic 200 controller, 8 Surette S530's, Xantrex 5548 inverter, Honda EX5500 backup Genny.
  • SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭
    Options

If you think those are big wait till you come across a spwr435!

Sounds like you have a poly crystalline, the mono 270's arent that big and weigh under 60lb's.

The Poly270's are about the size of a mono spwr435.
  • Skyko
    Skyko Solar Expert Posts: 121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No, definitely monocrystaline. LG Mono-X 64.57 x 39.37 x 1.38 in (actual part number is LG270N1C-G3)
  • SolarPowered
    Options
    No, definitely monocrystaline. LG Mono-X 64.57 x 39.37 x 1.38 in (actual part number is LG270N1C-G3)

That's as big as a solar world 270 or 275, its not that bad.
  • Organic Farmer
    Organic Farmer Solar Expert Posts: 128 ✭✭
    Options

Thank God the prices have came down :)
  • jaggedben
    jaggedben Solar Expert Posts: 230 ✭✭
    Options

Most 270W panels out there are 72 cell panels that are a foot longer. LG is one of only a couple companies that have brought 270s to market in a 60cell package. You are also lucky you got some right now, they are in high demand.
  • SolarPowered
    Options
    jaggedben wrote: »
    Most 270W panels out there are 72 cell panels that are a foot longer. LG is one of only a couple companies that have brought 270s to market in a 60cell package. You are also lucky you got some right now, they are in high demand.

Very high demand, people prefer them over sunpower panels for the lower price per watt, with over 18% conversion efficiency.
    I have 2 projects that require these panels and they have been out of stock from my vendors for over 2 months now. Maybe LG is bringing something better out in the next few months.