Hello everyone, new at this

Windy
Windy Registered Users Posts: 18
Like the title says im new to this but I plan to get some wind power, before we get
To the questions which wind turbines like hy3000 or aeolos 3kw or 2kw , here is a quite simple question:
Example: aeolos 2kw has 3 blades and much bigger rotor diameter 4m vs 3m of the hy3000 which is 3kw. So the question is simple, in 10-30 mph winds which will generate more power, bigger 3 blades on a 2kw vs 5 smaller blades on a 3kw Hye? I know aeolos is a very respectable company with over 20 years in the business. http://www.solwindsystems.com/wp-content/uploads/.../Aeolos-H-2KW-brochure.pdf
Also will be considering the aeolos 3kw but first I need to know the difference of long blades on relatively small generator vs decent sized blades on bigger generator, 3 long blades put more stress on a 2kw generator compared to 5 blades, on a bigger 3kw generator?

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Hello everyone, new at this

Hi "Windy", welcome to the forum.
    All other things being equal the larger the swept area, the greater the power output.
    The ideal number of blades is 3. Yes, more blades will start spinning in lower wind speeds, but turning and producing power are two different things. A smaller 5 blade machine can be very pretty and indeed a beautiful thing when one is laying back in the tall grass watching the wheels go around. But being pretty and being useful are again two different things. Another thing to consider, is that small, single home type turbines are high speed, high revs produce power. As the speed comes up the 3 fast spinning blades appear almost as a solid disk to the oncoming wind, causing some of the wind to deflect out around that spinning disc. Adding more blades only adds to that problem, and furthermore, loads down the turbine due to having to drag extra blades through the air. (added resistance) Actually 2 blades is even more efficient at high speed than 3 blades, but cause high vibration when following directional changes in the wind. 3 blades greatly reduce or eliminate this vibration problem. Thus 3 blades.
    Another thing to be VERY aware of, is that the small wind business is polluted with hype, hugely inflated power output claims and downright lies about power output.
    And they must be mounted at least 30 feet above any obstacle within 500 feet to produce any really usable power at all. And they must come down every couple of years for maintenance. Voice of experience.
  • Windy

Thanks alot for fast reply, I would rather go with Aeolos than some chinese brand, 5 years warranty here in the US, bigger blades more output, right?
    And the 2kw aeolos has a tail and 3kw doesnt, whats the difference on operating at high wind speeds?
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Most people underestimate the wind speeds and reliability in their area, and are encouraged to do so by the manufacturers and retailers. In the great majority of locations, if you have access to sunlight, solar is the way to go. No maintenance, 25 year warranty, and even on cloudy (not heavy overcast) days, you get a good percentage of full power. Re the Chinese turbines, I have yet to hear of anyone happy with them.
    There are a couple of members on this forum who appear to be happy with their wind installations, but they are definitely the exception.
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Windy wrote: »
    Thanks alot for fast reply, I would rather go with Aeolos than some chinese brand, 5 years warranty here in the US, bigger blades more output, right?
    And the 2kw aeolos has a tail and 3kw doesnt, whats the difference on operating at high wind speeds?

Errr, that "aeolos" looks remarkably similar (i.e. identical) to the Chinese built Annui Hummer wind turbine: http://www.chinahummer.cn/index.php/index/content/32
    You can search google for that brand name to find people's experience with them.

The following is hearsay from reading other peoples experiences and considering getting a turbine myself. It is not personal experience:

Regarding big blades on a small alternator, the problem is overspeed in high winds. Have heard of a few people who's been caught out with this, because the turbine relies on furling + electrical breaking to slow the turbine in high winds. But if the blades are too big then applying the electrical break just results in a burnt out alternator. So when buying chinese, I'd go in the opposite direction: upsize the alternator, or downsize the blades (or make a plan to lower the turbine in strong winds).

And all of this supposes that you've done the calcs on PV vs Wind? I've been looking for an excuse to install a wind turbine for 5 years now, my heart says yes, but then I whip out excel, work out the costs vs the energy generated and more PV always comes out better, MUCH better.
  • Windy

stephendv
    "Regarding big blades on a small alternator, the problem is overspeed in high winds. Have heard of a few people who's been caught out with this, because the turbine relies on furling + electrical breaking to slow the turbine in high winds. But if the blades are too big then applying the electrical break just results in a burnt out alternator. So when buying chinese, I'd go in the opposite direction: upsize the alternator, or downsize the blades (or make a plan to lower the turbine in strong winds)."

Thanks for your reply , I noticed that chinese Hummer copied alot from the Aeolus, saying they have their bearing and Siemens PLC BUT only they know the quailty of the materials, like a HYE rep told me Hummer uses copper plated iron in their generators, so who to trust, and besides Aeolus 3kw VS HUMMER 3 kw almost same price, 5 yr domestic warranty vs 3 years china warranty, 25 years exp vs 3 years exp, Youtube has an old guy with 2 broken down Hummer generators....

http://www.windturbinestar.com/products.html Thats Aeolus
  • stephendv

Actually I was insinuating that the Aeolus is just an imported version of the hummer. That's usually the way these things work, an EU or US company imports the product from China, slaps their name on it and offers support. If the Aeolus was manufacturered in the UK then I'd expect them to trumpet that fact all over their website- but they don't.
    Have a look at the posts by Cor van Houtum here: http://www.greenpowertalk.org/archive/index.php/t-13687.html he owns a renewable energy business in the netherlands and imported and installed a few hummers. He no longer installs them.

5 year domestic warranty on a wind generator is pretty good though.
  • Windy

Yep, they are very similar BUT aeolos weights almost double for both being 3kw versions, Hummer has yaw plus electromagnetic brake, Aeolos have both of that plus hydraulic break with calipper, wireless remote monitoring of the turbine from inside your house, google says Aeolos is among the first 3 turbine manufacturers in the world and Anhui hummer only bad reviews, makes me think Hummer is cloning Aeolos for the same price and cheap materials, how come Aeolos weights twice as much if the case is the same as Hummer, so more plastics inside
    Even the HYE sales rep said they know Hummer is using copper plated wire in their generators.
    Matter of fact Aeolos looks alot like Anelion too or could be modified Vestas?

quick update, the Hummer 3kw has the hydraulic break too, so only difference would be the weight, 60 kg difference

Business Message
    Aeolos wind turbine is a leading small wind turbines manufacturer in the world. Aeolos wind turbine was founded in Denmark in 1986. After 20 years development, Aeolos built thirteen companies and plants in seven countries. Aeolos owned 12 patents on wind generator, control systems, blade design and inverter. Aeolos wind turbine has built an international reputation in small wind turbines industry.
    http://www.whirlopedia.com/wind-turbine-manufacturers.htm

shows its number 2 in the world

So i put up some info that i found about Aeolos vs Hummer vs HYE

This is the Aeolos 2kw specs
    aeolus_2kw.jpg

This is the Aeolos 3kw specs
    aeolus_3kw.jpg

Now the Hummer 2kw specs
    hummer_2kw.jpg

Hummer 3kw specs
    hummer_3kw.jpg

They look familiar but everybody is saying bad stuff about Hummer and no bad word about Aeolos, what do you think?

And as a joke, look at HYE 3000W, in graphs performs even worse than aeolos or hummer 2kw versions, so on paper HYE 3000 should be HYE 2000

hy3000.jpg
  • stephendv

Interesting stuff, but regarding the weight the hummer says specifically it's only the alternator weight, whereas the Aeolus is alternator + blades. That could account for the difference.
    Might be worth giving Aeolus a call and just ask them straight whether their turbine is manufactured by hummer or not. In any case it may not matter, their guarantee seems to be quite generous for a mechanical device and they seem to be a reputable company who won't disappear tomorrow.
  • Windy

You got a good point brother, ill email them and ask them that. i know they will say the company started out in Holland but i guess we will see.
    Problem is that everybody knows that the chinese wear their cameras straped around their neck just to take pictures and steal/copy everything around this world, and then make cheap copies of them, ex : iphone, tablets, "Prada" "gucci" etc, everybody knows that.