Very High Voltage Solar Panels

Options
Hello,

I am looking for high voltage solar panel source.

I need to get to 400 volts with 3-4 panels and around 900-1200 watts total.

Has anyone seen such a panel?

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Very High Voltage Solar Panels

Dare we ask why?
  • pechan
    pechan Solar Expert Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Options

To feed a VFD that requires that high of input voltage, but I only need 1000 watts of total power.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    pechan wrote: »
    Hello,

I am looking for high voltage solar panel source.

I need to get to 400 volts with 3-4 panels and around 900-1200 watts total.

Has anyone seen such a panel?

That would be 300 Watt panels at 100+ Volts each. No such animal.

1200 Watts of PV takes up the same amount of space no matter how it's configured. Most panels are "GT style" these days and run 30 Vmp, which is why central inverter arrays tend to be 12 panels in series.

Other than Xantrex/Schneider's 600 Volt MPPT controller (Morningstar is supposed to have one out now too) I can't see any way of applying a 400 Volt array other than a GTI.
  • pechan
    pechan Solar Expert Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Options

Straight to a VFD driving a 3 phase motor
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Options

Many thin film panels operate in high voltage ranges, but because they're less efficient you need to fit more of them than poly panels. In order of most efficient to least efficient (efficient here just means the W/size) thin film technologies:
    - CIGS, CIS (E.g. Miasole, Avancis, Hanergy)
    - CdTe (FirstSolar) AFAIK, these are equal if not more efficient than CIS, CIGS
    - uSi called micromorph or micro-amorphous: a layer of crystaline silicon + a layer of amourphous. Sharp NAF panels have Vmp at 45V, 120W panel. Masdar PV, NexPower.
    - aSi-aSi dual junction amorphous panels: Schott ASI, Vmp only 30V though.
    - aSi single junction amorphous: many different manufacturers

The last type is the one most commonly associated with the term "thin film", it's the least efficient and cheapest of the bunch, often coming in frameless glass front and back modules to keep costs even lower.
    Regarding longevity, check the warranty offered by the manufacturer (look for 25 year 80% perforamance warranty), check that the manufacturer still exists :)
    Schott ASI panels for example come with a 30 year 80% guarantee, almost unheard of for poli/mono panels.