GVFX3648 AC connections without using a sub-panel, and being legal?

verdigo
verdigo Solar Expert Posts: 428 ✭✭
I posted a thread last weekend and was discussing this with Mr Cariboocoot. Just to clear up my questions I decided to make a new thread, and hope to get a different answer. Might be one of those situations that describe insanity as far as one doing the same thing and expecting a different result so maybe My Cariboocoot had some physiology classes in school and can help there as well.

I understand that the GVFX inverter has a built in transfer switch to enable it to switch from it's by-directional (AC in) circuit to (AC out) in the event of a power outage. Rather than use a sub panel for critical 120v loads, I would like to use house's service panel ONLY, for connecting to the inverter's AC hot out circuit.

I plan on using a generator interlock mechanism that is available for the new breaker box I am having installed to replace the existing house box which makes it impossible for the main to remain switched on in order for the house panel to be back fed by the other breaker which is interlocked to the main.

The interlock kit has a 50 amp 240 volt breaker for back-feeding. I would like to substitute a 30 amp 120 volt breaker in it's place, but if need be I also have an Outback PSX 240 auto transformer I could use to bump up the GVFX's output to 240 volts so as not to be guilty of altering the interlock kit's original design. This would also eliminate the need of keeping all of the 120 volt circuits on one leg of the breaker box.

Of course I know that I would need to switch off all of the 240 volt breakers before operating the interlock function, and manage my 120 volt loads to stay within the inverter's 30 amp capability.

All of the power equipment is located in a shed and the shed will have it's own 240 volt service from the house breaker box. I understand that if the interlock breakers are operated so that the main is off the inverter will not know when the power comes back on.

This is basically using the batteries and inverter as a generator. From looking at the various interlock kits I don't see why it would not be a legal setup. The only difference is the GVFX's bi-directional line which will lose its connection when the interlock breakers are switched to generator positions.

Thanks

Dennis

Comments

• verdigo
    Re: GVFX3648 AC connections without using a sub-panel, and being legal?

Oh well. Guess I am having trouble expressing this in an understandable way.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Actually it's best to keep it all together in one thread so readers don't have to go searching back and forth trying to find out what may or may not have been asked or suggested in the other threads. But regardless there are only so many experts on this forum, so a new thread will not bring new experts.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

I think you can do what you are trying to do. The biggest issue is make sure all the Neutrals are isolated from each other on the Input sources. If you have two automatic Switches you'll have to make sure that one cannot connect before the other breaks. I have my doubts that you could ever get it to support a load during the transfer. Anything with a compressor will have a 5 minute disconnect or they will short cycle and whole system will shut down due to overload. I have done a similar setup on Boats before and to me it suits itself more to a manual operation with double / triple pole breakers and a slide lockout for each set. A triple pole is required where the grounds change, you should not have that problem on a fixed structure.
  • verdigo

Everything will be manual. The interlock kit even has the appropriate placards with step by step that I could substitute the word Solar for generator at the service box. The inverter has not arrived yet. Ordered it last week. I think your in my neck of the woods so you know whats coming. I'm off to Lowes to get some stuff to make a suicide cord:roll: