Trojan t105 the truth

dkpro1
dkpro1 Registered Users Posts: 16 ✭✭
Just phone with Trojan the T105 re is the same plates as t105 only difference is case witch is a T145 case thuse more water ......no more lead, warranty longer cause chance of low water is much less

Comments

• dkpro1
    dkpro1 Registered Users Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Re: Trojan t105 the truth
    dkpro1 wrote: »
    Just phone with Trojan the T105 re is the same plates as t105 only difference is case witch is a T145 case thuse more water ......no more lead, warranty longer cause chance of low water is much less

buying T125's or the price of T105re's is better much value, even Trojan dealer says that RE is only better if watering is a problem
  • DMJ72
    DMJ72 Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭
    dkpro1 wrote: »
    buying T125's or the price of T105re's is better much value, even Trojan dealer says that RE is only better if watering is a problem

This is interesting. Thanks.
  • Surfpath
    Surfpath Solar Expert Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

Trojan claims that the RE's are different than the 105's...they have 'thicker grid structure' (whatever that means;))

DuraGrid™ Technology
    Trojan’s DuraGrid Technology is a grid design specifically engineered for the longer life requirements of renewable energy applications. DuraGrid features a thicker grid structure maintaining even greater corrosion resistance effectively increasing the life of the battery for up to 10 years. Trojan’s DuraGrid Technology combined with the Maxguard XL separator offers excellent charge efficiency allowing the batteries to charge quickly throughout the life of the battery.

There is a 5 pound weight difference between the 105's and the 105 RE's. Perhaps that differential is the weight of the larger case? Or is it thicker lead grids?? Or both?

Is the price difference worth it?? That's the question. The RE line is relatively new, so time will only tell whether these RE batteries can perform as advertized.

Getting batteries to me is a royal pain so I gambled on the L16 RE's lasting longer than their L16 brethren. If transport were convenient and easy I would have likely chosen another product.
    Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Surfpath wrote: »
    There is a 5 pound weight difference between the 105's and the 105 RE's. Perhaps that differential is the weight of the larger case? Or is it thicker lead grids?? Or both?

The mystery of Trojan's RE line of batteries continues... It had a good start back in this thread (starting at about post #16):
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?19588

Meanwhile, Trojan is now touting their "Smart Carbon" technology which improves performance in PSOC (partial state of charge) conditions which are so typical of RE systems. I can't find any info on how it works or on what testing they base their claims. The life cycle charts that they show for these new batteries look the same as before... probably because life-cycle testing is not done in PSOC conditions and the new batteries don't last any longer under standard full-charge testing.

ps: Surfpath, what's going on with your yamaha generator with the burning smell?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • DMJ72
    DMJ72 Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭

Interesting webinar that details the differences :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLpyY_FcON8&feature=c4-overview&list=UUUeq83LqdZkGxXo2tb6dwIg