What amp breaker do I need to tie into my Panel

CasaBonita
CasaBonita Registered Users Posts: 3
installing a 24 255 watt panel system wired in two series going to a sunny boy 6000 inverter.. size breaker would I use to tie into my square D breaker panel

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: What amp breaker do I need to tie into my Panel

Welcome to the forum.

There's a few things we need to check on here. One being what the rating of your service panel is. This is important because there are limits to back-feeding.

Which brings us to the next item; what does the local inspector and utility have to say about this? When it comes to tying in your grid tie inverter, they should definitely have something to say about it. If they don't (or for some reason aren't being involved) you may find yourself with big problems like paying for the electricity you export due to not having the right kind of meter installed.

Otherwise the output of 6kW SMA inverter is 25 Amps max for the 240 VAC version. As such it would require a 40 Amp breaker as per NEC rules, and that would need to be on a 200 Amp main service. And we're talking about 8 AWG minimum wire from inverter to breaker.
  • CasaBonita
    CasaBonita Registered Users Posts: 3
    Re: What amp breaker do I need to tie into my Panel

Thanks, Inverter is two feet from service panel.. will use the correct wire

System is being installed , in Mazatlan , Mexico.. CFE (power company ) will inspect and supply the smart Meter.. hope to get system at least up and running next week..

Thanks