High Voltage Battery Bank

RussellJ
RussellJ Registered Users Posts: 15 ✭✭
Is it possible to run a high voltage battery bank on an off grid system? Are there charge controllers and inverters that can handle like 190vdc? I'm asking because I'd like to get my home a little more off grid and I want to add range to my EV. My electric car runs on 190 volts and has a range of about 100 miles, I'd like to build a trailer with a similar battery bank to extend my driving range for the occasional longer trip. I can't justify spending the money on batteries for the car alone but if the pack could also be used to support some off grid power at home then it's a win-win.

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: High Voltage Battery Bank
    RussellJ wrote: »
    Is it possible to run a high voltage battery bank on an off grid system? Are there charge controllers and inverters that can handle like 190vdc? I'm asking because I'd like to get my home a little more off grid and I want to add range to my EV.

There are a number of issues dealing with high voltage DC.
    Some of them are discussed in this Prius thread: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?12962

There are also links in that thread to EV battery threads and sites.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i