low voltage disconnects on charge controllers

I am trying to decide which charge controller to buy. One feature that I think will be really useful to me is the low voltage disconnect. I am planning a small RE system where I'll be running some DC loads. In order to get this functionality it seems like I need to buy a charge controller with that functionality. One one hand, I'm considering the morningstar prostar PS-30M because it has all the features I need, but doesn't have MPPT, so lower output. My other consideration is the Solar Boost 2000E from Blue Sky but it lacks the low voltage disconnect. Is there any product or any way I can get all the features I want?

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: low voltage disconnects on charge controllers

The Outback MX60 charge controller offers MPPT, and its user-programmable AUX function can be configured to trip a relay for LVD. Before deciding on which way to go, I recommend you read this previous "To MPPT or not MPPT" discussion.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • TellGRBill
    TellGRBill Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited August 2023 #3
    I have just finished our solar system, it works well so far, and I would like to add a low voltage disconnect to our Renogy 60 amp MPPT controller. I think it has a 11volt disconnect for my 12 volt system,but I may want to disconnect at a higher voltage.
    Does anyone have a recommendation?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Bill, go ahead and create a new "discussion/thread" with your questions (bits and bytes are cheap).

There are some questions about exactly what you are looking for (type of batteries, simple voltage shutdown, State of Charge, pre-shutdown warnings, amperage/voltage of circuits to turn off, etc.)...

There is nothing in this thread that is of help for this discussion.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • NANOcontrol
    NANOcontrol Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    There are many external voltage monitors that give a lot of flexibility. I have a small pump that only will come on when the battery is fully charged for example.  I use one of these which costs about $2.  Many applications need a time delay and that should be a consideration when purchasing a monitor.  The big issue is these switch well under 10A and many devices that don't have a low current control input. 
  • TellGRBill
    edited September 2023 #6
    Thank you for the information. Do you have a link to the item online?  It looks like it may be designed for 30 volts DC.
    What is the best low voltage setting for our bank of 10 flooded cell deep cycle group 31 batteries?
    Does anyone have a step by step guide for setting the controller I have for LVD ?
    You know: "Solar For Dummies".
  • NANOcontrol
    NANOcontrol Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2023 #7
    30V DC is a typical rating for relay contacts because of DC arcing.  That module comes in 9, 12, and 24 volt versions for the operating voltage and the sense voltage can be up to 100 volts. The one pictured is the 9V version because I buy in quantity for many applications and just add a resistor to suit.   You would be better off with one in a case that can operate over a range in voltages as an example. Use that as a search.

Amazon.com: XIXIAN DC 6~80V Voltage Detection Charging Discharge Monitor Relay Switch Controller with Case : Industrial & Scientific
  • TellGRBill
    edited September 2023 #8
    Thank you.

That is exactly what I was looking for !
    I ordered one.
    I expect that it has easy to understand installation instructions, in English.
    Since I said that I have an MPPT Renogy 60amp controller, I expect that this controller can be installed along with the Renogy controller without a conflict between the two.