Help my fully understand microinverter grid tie install

Options
madcowusa
madcowusa Registered Users Posts: 4
I've been reading up on the apparent simplicity of panel mounted micro inverters such as Enphase 250's. It appears so simple. Am I understanding this right? The micro inverters plug into an Enphase trunk cable which then terminates into a weatherproof junction box on the roof. The 240V power then leaves via conduit down the house siding to an inexpensive lockable disconnect near the existing meter. And then from the disconnect into a production power meter before going into a double pole 20A breaker in my 200A panel (which in my home is 10' inside from the existing power meter). After seeing some how to videos about rack installation, grounding and mounting panels it all seems straightforward enough. Once the panels are installed - not much more difficult than installing a dedicated 240V dryer outlet.

Some questions:

1) Is the conduit coming from the roof simply bent around the roof rake overhang (would look like hell if you ask me), or is it acceptable to penetrate the roof and install a weather head or pipe jack?

2) Are there any micro inverters available for high wattage solar panels yet? Enpahse 250 maximum 300W, but I have Sunpower 327W panels.

3) Why are the Enphase micro listed as 208VAC and 240VAC?

I'm pondering a small self install grid tie here in WA. Thank you.

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Help my fully understand microinverter grid tie install

1. Better ask the permitting agency what is acceptable.
    2. I saw some Enphase ones that were dual panel capable, not sure if they would work with higher output panels
    3. Because some places do have 208

Yes it looks like the installations are pretty straight forward electrically. You still need to ask the utility how they handle the back feed/net metering and is your current meter capable. Also do they require an interconnect agreement.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Help my fully understand microinverter grid tie install
    madcowusa wrote: »
    3) Why are the Enphase micro listed as 208VAC and 240VAC?
    208 is three phase and 240 is usually single (split) phase.