Sams Club GC2 golf cart battery data

Options
chevenstein
chevenstein Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭
This cold snap finally did in my 3 year old set of Sams club golf cart batteries. From fully charged to inverter low voltage cutout in less than a day hours with about 3 amps of load (DC). I've replaced them with.....more of the same! 16 more Sams club 6 volt golf cart batteries in two parallel strings of eight batteries in series. Cheap (~$85 each) and now Duracell branded but actually made by East Penn (Deka), the old ones were Energizer brand but made by Johnson Controls in Mexico. The last set suffered some undercharging in the winter and getting bubbled on absorb for hours in the summer, I will see that the new ones are not permitted to sulfate as easily and we'll see if they do better than three years this time.

Another piece of information that the readers here may find interesting is that I tried to source used commercial batteries (L16 or fork truck) before going back to Sam's Club by calling about half a dozen companies in the area that service this type of equipment and learned that after the financial down turn of 2008 they almost never sell batteries for proactive replacement. Rather, all of the cores they have coming in are truly scrap and will not operate a machine for more than a very short period of time. One battery supplier told me that in 2006/7 he could have sold me cores at scrap price that were probably only half way through their useful life, but today all he gets is real junk.

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Sams Club GC2 golf cart battery data

There is noting like a New set of batteries @ 100 % capacity to put a smile on your face. For $1,300 and change your good to go. I am sure you commissioned them with a Full Charge and EQ'ed them to bring all the SG's to the same level across the bank, it's never good to start out in the hole and to stay there the rest of their useful life. It makes a huge difference when you charge and discharge them all evenly. Good Luck
  • chevenstein
    chevenstein Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Sams Club GC2 golf cart battery data

We ran an EQ charge before actually drawing from the new batteries from the generator, man am I sick of listening to that thing run!