Typhoon Yolanda and its devistation Philippines

john p
john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
My house here in Philippines is ok .. I live about 100k from Tacloban. At our house winds only reaced about 120k but in Tacloban winds reached the speed of 250k completely destroying the city of 200,000 people. 10,000 people lost their lives.I have posted a few photos, Its to depressing to post many .
We were lucky where we live as only little damage. But were without power and phone service for one month..Fortunately we have a small solar system that provided us with lighting and enough power for our portable 12v fridge and we provided a cell phone recharging service. Even though no cell service our area on the next island about 5k away people could get service sometimes.But it would vary where you had to be to get reception.

At its peak were were recharging about 70 cell phones a day. Photo attached of about 45 cell phones being recharged.. Interesting to note how much distortion switch mode chargers cause to wave form.. Most people will never experience seeing this. 45 cell phones at one time charged make the wave form on a TSW 1000 inverter look almost identical to what you get using a 1000w MSW inverter.Terrible.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Typhoon Yolanda and its devistation Philippines

Wow John. I glad you were able to make a difference for your neighbors.

Yea--Typical AC to DC chargers/electronic supplies just take current at the peak of the wave form... And can "clamp" the peak of a PSW sine wave.

Only "solutions" are, live with it, less loads, or a larger (VA/Watt rated) inverter.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

thanks for the close up of the destruction impact.
    We saw a lot on TV right after, then it's gone... but not the problem. Like Haiti, 3 years after its earthquake, lots of it is still in a mess.

What changes in construction might come about from this typhoon? Any 'official' statements?

What brings this to mind is the massive Ice Storm in Eastern Canada and the states, where old style power grids have been destroyed by large trees coming down on power-lines. Lesson: bury the inner city/suburbs power lines before the next storm f this nature comes on...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭

John, I lived in the Philippines for more than eleven years. I have a long time running online forum concerning the Philippines.

Recently, a member found and posted a video that I think you would like, and others as well.
    Paul
  • john p

Unfortunately there will be no govt imposed improved building rules.. The govt buildings fared no better than commercial and residential buildings..Even the poorly constructed jail mostly fell apart and most prisoners escaped..
    But its important to remember this is /was a once in a lifetime event, and to construct livable and commercial buildings to withstand 250 k(about160mph) winds has not been achieved anywhere in the world.
    The other insurmountable problem is "informal settlers" squatters.. They live along rivers,creeks and alongside rubbish dumps and under suspension highways and bridges. And when removed in days others arrive to take their place..
    Philippines 90 million people 70 million live on less than $2 a day.. No money to construct anything that could withstand a 5k wind.

My roof mounted panels no problems. but wind speeds at my house below 120k(75mph). Each panel just 2 bolt to a centre bracket on long side of panel.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, shoddy building practices abound, Quebec province has numerous bridges and overpasses that started to self destruct a few years ago. The mob connected outfits used substandard cement , etc... On our local news, a lady in Vancouver had sent money to her , still in the Philippines, family and they built themselves 3 cement houses. They all (3) survived the blow on Cebu (?) and ~ 100 people took shelter there. All around, nothing but splinters...kind of eerie.. It, better built structures, can be done , just needs some incentive of some sort... kind of like the Walter Mitty guy.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • john p

Westbranch Cebu had floods.. As I said this was a one in a lifetime event.. The majority of People here simply don't have enough money to even build a "shonky" house let alone a house strong enough to withstand anything.
    There will never be real help from govt here as all the senators and congressmen and mayors are far far to busy being corrupt and emptying the govt coffers.
    "